+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time for Visitor Extension

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
Hello my friends,

I applied for visitor extension at the beginning of April and have not received the result yet. Does anyone here share a similar timeline?

Thank you for your information!

hydrakanth

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Hi,
I applied for TRV extension (visitor record) for my elderly parents in the first week of May 2020. Biometric Info validity was confirmed in the third week of July 2020 and visitor record (In Canada Approval Letter) was issued in the last week of July 2020.

In total it took approximately 2.5 months from the day we submitted their applications online to getting the approval letters.

At the time of submitting the application, visitor extension (visitor record) processing time was 120 days. But we got approval letters within 90 days.

Reactions: MathToStat

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
Hi,
I applied for TRV extension (visitor record) for my elderly parents in the first week of May 2020. Biometric Info validity was confirmed in the third week of July 2020 and visitor record (In Canada Approval Letter) was issued in the last week of July 2020.

In total it took approximately 2.5 months from the day we submitted their applications online to getting the approval letters.

At the time of submitting the application, visitor extension (visitor record) processing time was 120 days. But we got approval letters within 90 days.
Thank you hydrakanth for sharing your timeline.

Are your parents required medical exams? And how much extension time did CIC give to them?

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
Same here.. i applied for extension of mom in May and i have not heard anything yet...
is this a cause for concern?

@MathToStat did you get any update ?

my application is way beyond the processing time as well... i am dead worried now.. should i create a web form and ask for updates ? or should i just wait for updates from them and in the mean time my mom would be in Implied status

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
Same here.. i applied for extension of mom in May and i have not heard anything yet...
is this a cause for concern?

@MathToStat did you get any update ?

my application is way beyond the processing time as well... i am dead worried now.. should i create a web form and ask for updates ? or should i just wait for updates from them and in the mean time my mom would be in Implied status
No, I have not got any updates.

hydrakanth

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Thank you hydrakanth for sharing your timeline.

Are your parents required medical exams? And how much extension time did CIC give to them?
Hi,

My parents did not require another medical examination as they are already in Canada. We asked for 90 days extension and were granted 150 days extension. I may have to apply for another 30 day extension as we are unable to get flights for them to go back home.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathToStat

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
Hi,

My parents did not require another medical examination as they are already in Canada. We asked for 90 days extension and were granted 150 days extension. I may have to apply for another 30 day extension as we are unable to get flights for them to go back home.

Thanks.
Thank you hydrakanth. So your parents had medical exam in the past 12 months? According to experiences shared on this forum, CIC requires a medical for most people.

My major concern is that it is not very safe to go to a designated physician to have a medical exam these days and I would like to know what people did if they can successfully be exempt from the exam.

hydrakanth

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Thank you hydrakanth. So your parents had medical exam in the past 12 months? According to experiences shared on this forum, CIC requires a medical for most people.

My major concern is that it is not very safe to go to a designated physician to have a medical exam these days and I would like to know what people did if they can successfully be exempt from the exam.
Yep, they had medical examination done within the past 12 month from back home. They had their return ticket booked when they arrived in Canada. But due to the ongoing pandemic, their return flights were cancelled by the airline, so they are stuck here. We included the following in support of their extension request:

Proof of medical insurance up to the date of requested extension date;
Copy of the return flight ticket cancelled by the airline;
Copy of the email sent by the airline in regards to the cancellation of the flight due to the pandemic;
Financial documents to prove we have enough liquid funds (cash) to support their extended stay; and
Reason for asking for extension - Flights cancelled due to coronavirus pandemic.

Last edited:

MathToStat

Jan 13, 2017
Yep, they had medical examination done within the past 12 month from back home. They had their return ticket booked when they arrived in Canada. But due to the ongoing pandemic, their return flights were cancelled by the airline, so they are stuck here. We included the following in support of their extension request:

Proof of medical insurance up to the date of requested extension date;
Copy of the return flight ticket cancelled by the airline;
Copy of the email sent by the airline in regards to the cancellation of the flight due to the pandemic;
Financial documents to prove we have enough liquid funds (cash) to support their extended stay; and
Reason for asking for extension - Flights cancelled due to coronavirus pandemic.
Very informative answer! Thank you so much. I might consider doing a medical exam in my home country in advance in the future.

cn1

Star Member
Aug 10, 2020
My Visitor Record application submitted on June 18 2020, It do not have update yet. Anyone able to share your timeline.

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
My timeline:
Submitted on May 01
got an update on Nov 02

its a hellish long wait unfortunately
they ask for medical exams and approve on the same day..

cn1

Star Member
Aug 10, 2020
My timeline:
Submitted on May 01
got an update on Nov 02

I think my Visitpr Extension comes at around November 18 2020, Submitted on June 18 2020.
Since your example take 5 months.

ghenny

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
My timeline:
Submitted on May 01
got an update on Nov 02

Did you apply online? Or paper application?
I applied April paper application but until now, didnt hear anything from them.