+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time for Spouse PR who is in Peru

Fio

May 24, 2008
Hi Everyone
My wife is from Lima Peru SouthAmerica .We got married last year and sent our application for sponsorship on March 6th and I was approved as her sponsor on March 31st and her papers were sent to the Canadian office in Lima , I was never able to check the status on ECAS ,dont know why, well my wife has not gotten any letter or a file number from the embassy .

I would appreciate if someone could give me some information from their experiences on their :
-timeframe with details if possible =P
-officers ask for more documents ?
-When did you get a file number or a letter from the office in Lima?
-When did you pay the right of permance at the beginnig or the end of paper work? Does it make any difference?
-Is it ok to mail them asking if everything is ok with her application?

I m really looking forward to be with my wife again and I need to know what to expect from the office in Lima .

Thanks in advice for you time and replies.

Chris

LCS

May 5, 2005
I hope things go better for you than it has for us. Ours has been a long story. On the surface our case is very simple. My husband had never been married before, no ex, no kids, no other family members on the application. But he is younger than me so I'm sure they looked at the validity of our marriage. I sent in our application in late August 2006 and I was approved as a sponsor Sept 20, 2006 so the Embassy in Lima had our application at the end of September 2006. Things seemed to progress fairly well at first, and luckily when they called him for his interview to take place at the end of November 2006, I had planned a visit already and I was there with him for the interview so that made a good impression and his interview was less than 25 minutes. Then at the beginning of February 2007 they asked for more detailed information about his obligatory military service. He returned that info. to them in 2 days.
From that time it was an ENTIRE YEAR (to the exact week) for them to simply confirm that he was a supply clerk in an office. It just SHOULD NOT take that long to confirm that basic information. I am 100% positive that because they said it "could" take one year to 18 months, they MADE IT take the one year. If you take out the entire year we waited on his military check, the rest of the time has been on schedule with the processing times they advertise. I even went through the effort of contacting my MP's office to find out why it was taking so long, and they in turn contacted Lima and Immigration Canada here, and although they did give an idea of where our case was at, it did NOT speed things up at all. The Embassies and Immigration Canada do not feel they are obliged to communicate directly to you about such an important issue in your life and they remain detached, but if you enlist the help of your MP's office, they will divulge a little more info. to THEM who then relays it TO you? What B.S.

Things started to move again since Feb 2008. He was asked asked for updated police clearance and new medical exam the first week of February. Then on March 26 he was asked to pick up his expired passport and return a new one, which was dropped off on April 1.
However, it's NOW been a full two months since that time and the published times on trackitt.com seem to be only 3, 4 or perhaps 5 weeks from the time the passport is given, to the time a spousal PR visa is issued. We are now at 8 weeks, and I just sent an email to them yesterday to point out the trackitt.com times and to find out if there is now another delay for some reason.

I would say that if you DON'T have any complications to your application- ex's , children, health problems etc. etc. you can probably expect less than a year. But it sure seems to me that Lima does not process as quickly as many other countries that people have listed here and on trackitt.com.
If you are the person who had submitted the application from here in Canada, it would be you (or your representative if you listed a lawyer) that should have received the letter confirming your sponsorship eligibility which would quote a client number that you must use when communicating to Lima about your case. You must use that number as well as your full name and your spouse's full name.
The email address to write to them is:
re-lima.immigration@international.gc.ca
It will take them several days to get back to you and if you do not include your client number and names they may not answer at all.
An IMM Receipt number is given once you have paid your fees. I paid in total at the beginning which saved having to submit another payment and wait for them to process it and acknowledge it before moving forward again.
The site to check your status:
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ols/ols.do
does not help very much, it is not updated until after you already have been advised of any status change.
For processing times check here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

Where are you in Canada?
Please keep me posted, I would be interested to know how it goes for you. We are now at 20 months, my opinion of the Cdn Gov't is less than it even was before I started this process.
LCS

Fio

May 24, 2008
Hello LCS

Are you together now? hope so!
Well in my case I was able to logged in at ECAS I saw that my wife´s file has started being proccess since June 10th 2008 that is all We know so far , She hasnt get any letter from the Embassy in Lima . Either of us has been married before , Im 21 and She is 19 , We met on March2005 and built a relationship trough my visits on Sept 2005 then July 2006 and latest one on Sept 2007 until January 2008 .We married on Nov 2007 , We sent many pics from all my visits. She doesnt have any criminal records ,and her medical exams were OK ,We have no kids .We are just hopping this nightmare ends soon .
What should be expect from the embassy now? Will they mail her a letter with her file number ? call her for a interview?

Do you know if there is any way for me to pay the last 490$ now ,before the process ends so we save time , I havent seen her since January 2008 and it is very hard so I want to avoid any delays .

Yes I m in Ottawa Canada , Im not using a lawyer .

Best wishes for all of us
Chris

M

mrs_missing_mr

hola Fio, we are going thru Guatemala Office, but I guess it could be similiar to Lima office, I'm waiting for my hubby here in Canada with our 2 kids (6) and (3) since March 08, we got an email saying he is on queue for an interview, to bring a couple of more documents and $400 (which is the right to return to canada fee), they will replied be email or by regular mail, depending what you gave them as contact info, we have a representative here in Brampton, Ontario, so everything goes to her and her email and she sends them over to me, I also send them (guatemla) an email last week to tell them how much our kids are missing their dad, in the hopes that will soften their hearts and speed up the process, but I haven't gotten a replied yet, also, you can pay the $490 fee on line or at the bank, mail it to mississauga offcie just like you did the first one ($550), they will mail it to Lima, I wish you good luck.

LCS

May 5, 2005
Fio said:
Hello LCS

Are you together now? hope so!
Well in my case I was able to logged in at ECAS I saw that my wife´s file has started being proccess since June 10th 2008 that is all We know so far , She hasnt get any letter from the Embassy in Lima . Either of us has been married before , Im 21 and She is 19 , We met on March2005 and built a relationship trough my visits on Sept 2005 then July 2006 and latest one on Sept 2007 until January 2008 .We married on Nov 2007 , We sent many pics from all my visits. She doesnt have any criminal records ,and her medical exams were OK ,We have no kids .We are just hopping this nightmare ends soon .
What should be expect from the embassy now? Will they mail her a letter with her file number ? call her for a interview?

Do you know if there is any way for me to pay the last 490$ now ,before the process ends so we save time , I havent seen her since January 2008 and it is very hard so I want to avoid any delays .

Yes I m in Ottawa Canada , Im not using a lawyer .

Best wishes for all of us
Chris
hi Chris,
My husband was finally approved on July 22 and he arrived on August 9. In late June I wrote to the Embassy in Lima and did not get an answer (I wrote several more times as well and never got an answer), and after two weeks I got my MP's office involved again. They were told from sources here in Canada they were STILL waiting on Security clearance within Canada. Well, funny thing....just a week after that, my husband was called into the Lima Embassy and was told he was approved. It took lighting a fire under their @sses again to finalize the process. THEN a week after he got here, two of my emails sent to the Lima Embassy were registered with "Read" receipts. Talk about being sloooooowwwww. The whole process took 22 months from the time they started processing in Lima.
If you pay all your fees up front that will be one LESS step to wait on during the process. If you were able to get into ECAS and view the case you should already have the file number? The ECAS site is not reliable for "current" updates. Our case did not even show that it was completed for days AFTER my husband was approved. If your case started being processed in June, you will be at least 6 to 10 months if nothing holds it up. Although she should be called for an interview within another month or so, depending on their case load. I get the impression that since we started our application, the Lima Embassy has received many more applications so their volumes are high. I know it seems like a long wait, but you have to resign yourself to the fact you have NO CONTROL over how long the Government takes to do these things.
Just remember that you are young, and the process of one year or so out of the rest of your lives together will seem like nothing in 5 years from now. Good luck to the two of you and I hope they process you in the minimum time.

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
I am A Peruvian Born Canadian and My husband is Peruvian as well. He is Toronto with me and we have done a In Canada Souse-Sponsor Application. We are not in the same boat as you, although we could have. We chose to be together and do it from here, even though it does take much longer, so I hear.

We wish you luck!

Fio

May 24, 2008
Hello LCS!
Im so happy for you guys !! Im really sorry you had to wait for soo long!

-We didnt pay both fees only the first one of 550$ , We are gonna pay the one of 490$ in the following weeks and She will take the receipt to the Canadian Visa her self so it is attached to her documents . I guess that should also help avoiding delays on that aspect . Is that a good thing to do?

-We dont have her file number yet , I registered in ECAS using my client number , She hasnt get anything from the embassy yet .

I know it could take longer ,I have also sent many emails asking for some information on the status of her application but I got 0 responses , It does feel terrible not being able to control this .
I just pray for her to be here soon!

Cheers!