+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedure to add spouse after received COPR

monsters

Jun 13, 2016
Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me how to add spouse to an approved PR Application? I applied through Federal Skill Workers Program and currently already got my COPR (Confirmation of permanent residence). But not yet went to Canada to complete the full process. I am planning to marry before going to Canada to complete the process. I have a few questions.

1. How can I add my spouse to my application?
2. What are the requirements my spouse need to complete in order to add her in (Does she need to write IELTS etc)?
3. What if something goes wrong with her application and her application rejected? Will it cancel my PR also automatically?
4. Does anyone have any links for me to read further about this?
5. Roughly how long more will it take to approve everything?

I can think off going to Canada and complete my PR application and later come back to marry her. But even in that case, she can't come together with me and I may need to wait for some uncertain time to get all approved. So I am thinking, it is better to wait together rather than wait separately.

My ultimate aim is to bring along her together with me when I go to Canada and thus I think adding her now will be better than doing sponsorship later.

Can some experts here advise me?

Thanks a lot

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get married before you land, your CoPR will become invalid.
So you will have to return it to CIC and notify them of the change in status.
They will send a request for your wife's documents (medical exam, PCC, passport, etc.). Once they receive her documents, they will reissue your CoPR.
Your wife does not need to take IELTS.

I have no idea how long it will take.

monsters

Jun 13, 2016
istari said:
If you get married before you land, your CoPR will become invalid.
So you will have to return it to CIC and notify them of the change in status.
They will send a request for your wife's documents (medical exam, PCC, passport, etc.). Once they receive her documents, they will reissue your CoPR.
Your wife does not need to take IELTS.

I have no idea how long it will take.
Hi Istari,

Thank you for the information... :)

vedette

Jul 21, 2015
She is right

Inform your Visa Officer through email/CSE[Case Specific Query] as soon as possible.

The best is to reply the same email of application success sent by your Visa Officer to you in which He/She mentioned that in these these events write back to us.

They will guide you accordingly

All you need to do is - BE FAST and Don't Hesitate.

All the best

monsters

Jun 13, 2016
vedette said:
She is right

Inform your Visa Officer through email/CSE[Case Specific Query] as soon as possible.

The best is to reply the same email of application success sent by your Visa Officer to you in which He/She mentioned that in these these events write back to us.

They will guide you accordingly

All you need to do is - BE FAST and Don't Hesitate.

All the best
Thanks a lot Vedette. But now what i am thinking after read many stories is to go Canada and get PR first (Because if anything goes wrong, my COPR also will be cancelled). Later come back and marry her then sponsor her. For this matter, Canadian procedures are really so hard. Heard that Canada promoting families. But still the procedures to bring spouse to Canada is so difficult. I hope my fiancee also can get PR through sponsorship faster.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monsters said:
Thanks a lot Vedette. But now what i am thinking after read many stories is to go Canada and get PR first (Because if anything goes wrong, my COPR also will be cancelled). Later come back and marry her then sponsor her. For this matter, Canadian procedures are really so hard. Heard that Canada promoting families. But still the procedures to bring spouse to Canada is so difficult. I hope my fiancee also can get PR through sponsorship faster.
Adding your spouse to your CoPR will add a couple of months onto the processing time.
Sponsoring her after you land will take 18+ months.

monsters

Jun 13, 2016
istari said:
Adding your spouse to your CoPR will add a couple of months onto the processing time.
Sponsoring her after you land will take 18+ months.
Hi Istari,

The issue that making me worry is, me and my fiancée are two different nationals. So I am not sure if there will be some complications. So if add her early and something goes wrong, we can't think about Canada anymore.

i am very confused.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monsters said:
Hi Istari,

The issue that making me worry is, me and my fiancée are two different nationals. So I am not sure if there will be some complications. So if add her early and something goes wrong, we can't think about Canada anymore.

i am very confused.
I'm not sure how different nationalities would cause problems.

monsters

Jun 13, 2016
istari said:
I'm not sure how different nationalities would cause problems.
Hi Istari,

It is a must to show many proofs of the genuinity of marriage right? Or adding spouse just need to show marriage certificate only? Why I worry is because since we are two different nationalities, CIC do strict checks and somehow if there is any issue (I don't know what silly things going to appear as issue) my approved PR also will be cancelled. Thus our dreams to Canada will end there.

By the way I didn't get any email so far from CIC confirming my PR. But I got my passport stamped and COPR received. So I should expect an email from them again?

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you won't receive another email. CIC confirmed your PR by sending you your CoPR (which stands for Confirmation of Permanent Residency).

I don't know about the marriage thing.
I don't think you have to show a lot of proof; just your marriage licence. But if CIC thinks something fishy is going on, they could ask for additional proof, I suppose.
If your marriage is legitimate, I don't see why you shouldn't include it. But if you think there might be a problem, then you could be better off playing it safe.

monsters

Jun 13, 2016
istari said:
No, you won't receive another email. CIC confirmed your PR by sending you your CoPR (which stands for Confirmation of Permanent Residency).

I don't know about the marriage thing.
I don't think you have to show a lot of proof; just your marriage licence. But if CIC thinks something fishy is going on, they could ask for additional proof, I suppose.
If your marriage is legitimate, I don't see why you shouldn't include it. But if you think there might be a problem, then you could be better off playing it safe.
Hi Istari,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes definitely the marriage will be legitimate. Probably I am worried a bit too much due to read so many negative stories in forums and from other people. But now after read your comments, I think I am gonna add her first so that we can go Canada together ;D

vedette

Jul 21, 2015
Istari is right

But

Your point is valid that if she belonged to different nationality then background checks may take long time

When is your marriage going to take place?

If i were you and nothing has happened like marriage agreement, I would have booked my ticket to Canada, land and go back and marry -> As it will guarantee your place in Canada [If and only if you dream to start your life in Canada]

Then After marriage, you can sponsor her and it may take 18 months or less - Currently Canada Government is much focused in bringing families together so you have a bright chance that it's lesser than 18 months

What you can do in 18 months > You try to become stable, grab job, car and home and when she comes you make that as your honeymoon.

During 18 months, she can come as visitor and she will get visitor visa faster because of you

So if you have gotten everything just fly man!

But you know the ground realities better but the above mention path will make things hassle free!

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vedette said:
During 18 months, she can come as visitor and she will get visitor visa faster because of you
This isn't true.

The fact that her spouse is a PR will actually increase the chance that her visitor visa is rejected.
Because her husband is living in Canada, CIC will assume that there is a good chance that she will illegally overstay her visa once it expires. To get a visitor visa for her, OP would have to prove that her ties to her home country are stronger than her ties to her spouse.

monsters

Jun 13, 2016
istari said:
This isn't true.

The fact that her spouse is a PR will actually increase the chance that her visitor visa is rejected.
Because her husband is living in Canada, CIC will assume that there is a good chance that she will illegally overstay her visa once it expires. To get a visitor visa for her, OP would have to prove that her ties to her home country are stronger than her ties to her spouse.
yes...this is what I heard and read everywhere. In order to get a visiting visa, the person need to make sure by showing solid proof that he/she will go back to their home country. But if I am PR and CIC know she is my wife, visiting visa will definitely reject.

monsters

Jun 13, 2016
vedette said:
Istari is right

But

Your point is valid that if she belonged to different nationality then background checks may take long time

When is your marriage going to take place?

If i were you and nothing has happened like marriage agreement, I would have booked my ticket to Canada, land and go back and marry -> As it will guarantee your place in Canada [If and only if you dream to start your life in Canada]

Then After marriage, you can sponsor her and it may take 18 months or less - Currently Canada Government is much focused in bringing families together so you have a bright chance that it's lesser than 18 months

What you can do in 18 months > You try to become stable, grab job, car and home and when she comes you make that as your honeymoon.

So if you have gotten everything just fly man!

But you know the ground realities better but the above mention path will make things hassle free!
My COPR will expire by next year June. Planning to marry by december this year or January next year...