+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

procedure of common-law sponsoring

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I read Leon's post on spousal sponsorship but I have a general question for the common-law sponsorship. What is that process like? Who will they call, what will we have to do, etc. My girlfriend is Canadian and im a US Citizen and we would be doing the inland application. How long is this process? I know outland is about 1-2 months. Thanks all.

potcakes

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless there is a REALLY good reason why you other half cant live in the states, DONT do Inland. You can say with your spouse in canada but still apply outland!

minna

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/07/2010
AOR Received.
08/09/2010
File Transfer...
19/08/2010
Med's Done....
13/07/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
30/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/12/2010
LANDED..........
18/12/2010
The procedure for common-law sponsorship and spousal sponsorship GENERALLY is not any different. Most of the steps are the same.

Some of the forms have separate sections or questions for common-law partners to answer, and/or sections that are just for married people to answer. It's pretty obvious on the forms (i.e. the questions where you are asked about your marriage ceremony, for example). The main difference between a spousal sponsorship application and a common-law application might be in the proof of relationship section - as you must provide proof of having lived together for at least 1 year before applying. You should likely also include evidence that your lives are financially and legally intertwined - that you are beneficiaries on retirement accounts or insurance policies and that you have joint bank accounts. Married couples may not need to provide as much evidence of this type, as the marriage implies these kinds of legal arrangements.

I would also recommend applying outland instead of inland, unless you have a real reason to apply inland. Outland applications through the buffalo visa office are processed in much less time, and the american partner can still be in Canada with the canadian partner while the application is being processed (my common-law partner is currently in Vancouver with me on a 1-year visitor record).

Hope this helps, and if you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
acer925 said:
I read Leon's post on spousal sponsorship but I have a general question for the common-law sponsorship. What is that process like? Who will they call, what will we have to do, etc. My girlfriend is Canadian and im a US Citizen and we would be doing the inland application. How long is this process? I know outland is about 1-2 months. Thanks all.
You can apply outland while inland as long as the applicant can return to the US if an interview is required.

The outland process is not 1-2 months.... those who get it that fast are very lucky. The sponsorship approval takes about a month. The application is then transferred and from there it might take 2 months but will probably take longer.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
The sponsorship approval usually takes between 1 and 2 months. After that, the applicant's processing happens in Buffalo (or another U.S. office if Buffalo transfers it) for an outland application. That part usually takes between 4 to 11 months, though some applications are faster and some are slower. 80% of applications are currently processed by Buffalo in 11 months or less. Inland applications generally take much longer.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks all, Are they going to like call our relatives and ask them questions? Or is it just kept between us?

minna

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/07/2010
AOR Received.
08/09/2010
File Transfer...
19/08/2010
Med's Done....
13/07/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
30/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/12/2010
LANDED..........
18/12/2010
no, they won't call your relatives - at least not in the course of processing a straightforward case. I suppose they *could* but, I've never heard of that happening - perhaps other members might have a more informed comment.

One of the requirements for common-law sponsorship is that you have two statutory declarations (notarized letters) from friends or family who know both partners, vouching for your relationship, however. You will need at least 2 people that know your relationship to write a letter in support of your application, and it must be notarized, so they must be willing to swear that the document is true and accurate.

fafi

Sep 17, 2010
kingston, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2010
i agree w/ everyone here. do outland! also, you should get the 'declaration of common law' paper notarized. we've talked to many IO's that have said we don't need it, but they ended up asking us for it anyways and i'm sure it's tacked on another 3-4 weeks of waiting. i had at least 10 letters from friends/family and did not notarize them, just had them put all of their contact information there. be sure to include everything you can - emails, tickets, family photos, etc. good luck!