+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problems attempting to apply for OHIP while waiting on inland PR visa.

55way

Star Member
Sep 29, 2012
We applied (inland) for my wife's permanent residence in January 2014 and are still waiting.
A few months ago she did receive her work permit thankfully but she is not employed as of yet.

This past week we went to Ottawa city hall to attempt to apply for OHIP for her.
We brought all of the required documents according to the official checklist (PDF link).

When we attempted to apply for it we were told that we would need a document showing her approval for permanent residence to which I explained we are still waiting on this. After that we called Immigration Canada to figure out when we would be receiving any documentation and the agent informed us that we would likely be receiving a notification that I am approved as a sponsor in the next few months.

I then went back to the counter at City Hall in Ottawa and informed the clerk of this to which we were told that is not sufficient. I provided the printed out checklist showing the required documents but they told us that the rules (law?) changed in the last couple of months and that the list is no longer accurate (if this is the case I hope they update it soon so others do not have this problem). Another clerk, at this point, said that a Health check with the results would be required. I was told then that my best recourse is to write to Health Canada to find out how we can get OHIP for my wife.

I am quite confused as to how it is proving to be so difficult to get OHIP for my wife here in Canada.
Can anyone offer some advice or comments if you have experienced similar? I will be writing to Health Canada to hopefully get this resolved as paying for travller's health insurance is not cheap. Thank you.

Note: I would like to add that my wife has a friend that is essentially in the same state (waiting for her inland permanent visa) and was able to apply for her OHIP about 1-2 months ago without any of the above issues.

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
They are clueless at service canada. When I went with my PR card and the hydro bill with my husband and my name on it they wouldn't accept it because the bill didn't have my name only. I had to wait until I had my drivers license exchanged in order to apply.

55way

Star Member
Sep 29, 2012
clearly said:
They are clueless at service canada. When I went with my PR card and the hydro bill with my husband and my name on it they wouldn't accept it because the bill didn't have my name only. I had to wait until I had my drivers license exchanged in order to apply.
We also had her driver's license and mail with our current address but to no avail. It was quite frustrating as they seemed not be able to give a clear answer.

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
clearly said:
If she has a owp, why don't you skip the hassle of the Ohio for PR applicants (you probably haven't received AIP yet so you technically are not eligible based on that) and instead apply as a foreign worker for ohip?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
If you applied inland you won't be eligible for OHIP until you have first stage approval. Once you have that, take it to Service Ontario and you should be eligible 3 months from the date the approval was granted. If they refuse you then, appeal to the OHIP Eligibility Review Committe. They'll straighten it out for you. Good luck.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It seems that OHIP still requires AIP before they will give health coverage to spousal PR applicants, regardless of the pilot OWP. This has been commented on quite a bit in the past week on this thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/updated-topics/-t260580.855.html;topicseen.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
canuck_in_uk said:
It seems that OHIP still requires AIP before they will give health coverage to spousal PR applicants, regardless of the pilot OWP. This has been commented on quite a bit in the past week on this thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/updated-topics/-t260580.855.html;topicseen.
My friend who doesn't have AIP yet got OHIP very easily with her OWP from the pilot program. This was back in March I think.
So it's either a case of different OHIP offices doing things their own way (some giving OHIP and others denying it), or OHIP changed their policies for eligibility on the pilot program OWP over the past few months.

I would still recommend that if you're refused OHIP from any office, try a few others in the area and maybe one will give it to you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rob_TO said:
My friend who doesn't have AIP yet got OHIP very easily with her OWP from the pilot program. This was back in March I think.
So it's either a case of different OHIP offices doing things their own way (some giving OHIP and others denying it), or OHIP changed their policies for eligibility on the pilot program OWP over the past few months.

I would still recommend that if you're refused OHIP from any office, try a few others in the area and maybe one will give it to you.
From what I read on the OWP thread, it seems that OHIP changed the rules recently so that pilot program OWPs, with "Case Type 27" stated on the permits, don't qualify for health coverage.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Interesting. You guys are correct. Certain classes of people holding work permits will be eligible for OHIP under Reg. 552 Section 1.4 (6) which includes;

6. Being a person who holds a valid work permit or other document issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) that permits the person to work in Canada, if the person also has a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer in Ontario and is working under that agreement, and if the work permit or other document issued under that Act or a letter provided by the employer or other document provided by the employer,

i. sets out the employer’s name,

ii. states the person’s occupation with the employer, and

iii. states that the person will be working for the employer for no less than six consecutive months.
So I guess the work permit itself isn't enough. You have to be working as well and meet the other conditions set out in that section.

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what do you need to proof that you have First Stage Approval to be eligible for OHIP? I received an email from CIC for the !st Stage Approval and also OWP although with Class 27, yet was refused OHIP.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
PTJ said:
So what do you need to proof that you have First Stage Approval to be eligible for OHIP? I received an email from CIC for the !st Stage Approval and also OWP although with Class 27, yet was refused OHIP.
Get that refusal in writing from Service Ontario and then appeal to the OERC. The OERC information will be on the back of the refusal document. If you do indeed have first stage approval, your appeal will be a no brainer.

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bartjones said:
Get that refusal in writing from Service Ontario and then appeal to the OERC. The OERC information will be on the back of the refusal document. If you do indeed have first stage approval, your appeal will be a no brainer.
I am not sure those people want to give refusal in writing and yes I have 1st stage approval with the eligibility letter CIC sent to me and it was stated on my OWP as well that I have 1st stage approval. Can I just write to OERC without the approval but include my PR eligibility letter plus the OWP which clearly says I have 1st stage approval?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
PTJ said:
I am not sure those people want to give refusal in writing and yes I have 1st stage approval with the eligibility letter CIC sent to me and it was stated on my OWP as well that I have 1st stage approval. Can I just write to OERC without the approval but include my PR eligibility letter plus the OWP which clearly says I have 1st stage approval?
Go back to Service Ontario and demand that they provide the refusal in writing. They are obliged to give that to you. If they refuse, contact the OERC directly and tell them you were refused OHIP and they wouldn't give you the written refusal document. You can read about the appeal process here.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/review.aspx

Good luck.

yoatih

Oct 17, 2014
Hi guys,

Can you tell me what is this first stage approval letter from CIC? I have applied for a PR under CEC and I only have received an AOR number letter. I am now moving to Ontario and would also need to apply for a OHIP. One of the documents they require is to have this first stage approval letter. So is it enough if I just show them the letter with the AOR?

Thank you for your help in advance!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
yoatih said:
Hi guys,

Can you tell me what is this first stage approval letter from CIC? I have applied for a PR under CEC and I only have received an AOR number letter. I am now moving to Ontario and would also need to apply for a OHIP. One of the documents they require is to have this first stage approval letter. So is it enough if I just show them the letter with the AOR?

Thank you for your help in advance!
First stage approval letter is something you get if you make an inland family class PR application. You may also qualify for OHIP if you've applied under CEC but you'll have to have passed the eligibility assessment stage before you do. Not sure whether there is a letter sent out telling you that in a CEC application, (maybe someone else here knows) but you'll certainly be able to see that in your GCMS notes.