+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pro Tip: Preparing for the Citizenship Test

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
I gave the test on Feb 1st and was able to get 19/20 in the test.

Two Things to Remember:
1. The Canada Citizenship is not really that tough. It is not so easy that you will pass with 0 prep but it is also not like a medical entrance exam.
2. They want you to pass the test. A significant portion of the test is just plain and simple common sense.

Here are the steps:
1. Skim through the Discover Canada Guide. Don't bother memorizing the dates or names or anything like that. Just read through the book cover to cover. Just make sure you have some idea or a rough overview of the guide. Only read this once. That's it and don't even bother reading it thoroughly.
2. Richmond hill public library citizenship practice test - all 154 questions
https://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/
3. Toronto public library - 61 questions
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/new-to-canada/citizenship.jsp

That's it! Keep practicing 2. and 3. again and again till you get all the questions 100% correct. The questions in the real test are similar to this. If you get anything wrong just note down the question and the answer for review. In-fact most of the questions in 3. are already included in 2.

Just reading the guide won't be enough because you need the information to stick. Only active learning helps i.e multiple choice questions.

There is this site: http://www.thecanadiantest.com/citizenship-test it had 24 Quizzes and each one had 20 questions. It was a huge waste of time and it was really tough.
In the same way there is a condensed info from discover Canada that is stickied in this forum. Even that is a waste of time to go through.

Just use the two links above and that should be enough to pass the test. Everything else is a huge waste of time and an inefficient way to prepare.

2 to 3 days is plenty of time to finish prepping for the Citizenship. Don't stress it out. You will get through! You don't need anything else apart from this.

1 day before the test. It was the last date. I came across this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ImmigrationCanada/comments/q7gevi and followed the advice. It worked out really well.

Good luck with your test!

go.quebec

Mar 19, 2017
I gave the test on Feb 1st and was able to get 19/20 in the test.

Two Things to Remember:
1. The Canada Citizenship is not really that tough. It is not so easy that you will pass with 0 prep but it is also not like a medical entrance exam.
2. They want you to pass the test. A significant portion of the test is just plain and simple common sense.

Here are the steps:
1. Skim through the Discover Canada Guide. Don't bother memorizing the dates or names or anything like that. Just read through the book cover to cover. Just make sure you have some idea or a rough overview of the guide. Only read this once. That's it and don't even bother reading it thoroughly.
2. Richmond hill public library citizenship practice test - all 154 questions
https://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/
3. Toronto public library - 61 questions
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/new-to-canada/citizenship.jsp

That's it! Keep practicing 2. and 3. again and again till you get all the questions 100% correct. The questions in the real test are similar to this. If you get anything wrong just note down the question and the answer for review. In-fact most of the questions in 3. are already included in 2.

Just reading the guide won't be enough because you need the information to stick. Only active learning helps i.e multiple choice questions.

There is this site: http://www.thecanadiantest.com/citizenship-test it had 24 Quizzes and each one had 20 questions. It was a huge waste of time and it was really tough.
In the same way there is a condensed info from discover Canada that is stickied in this forum. Even that is a waste of time to go through.

Just use the two links above and that should be enough to pass the test. Everything else is a huge waste of time and an inefficient way to prepare.

2 to 3 days is plenty of time to finish prepping for the Citizenship. Don't stress it out. You will get through! You don't need anything else apart from this.

1 day before the test. It was the last date. I came across this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ImmigrationCanada/comments/q7gevi and followed the advice. It worked out really well.

Good luck with your test!
how about the practice test on youtube with 404 questions, is it worth it please?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
20/20 here. Read the book casually once and then in detail a second time. You do need to learn key dates and names. Then did several practice tests from a question bank on each subject area. Whilst some questions may be obvious with everyday knowledge, I don't think most people can pass without reading the book. Without reading, I was scoring 12 and I consider myself to have good general knowledge.

Good luck!

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
20/20 here. Read the book casually once and then in detail a second time. You do need to learn key dates and names. Then did several practice tests from a question bank on each subject area. Whilst some questions may be obvious with everyday knowledge, I don't think most people can pass without reading the book. Without reading, I was scoring 12 and I consider myself to have good general knowledge.

Good luck!
The two practice tests which have around 154 questions + 61 Questions is good enough. The few dates and names mentioned in these tests are good enough to memorize.

My suggestion is to read the book casually once and then just keep redoing the two tests till you get all 100% correct. That is good enough to pass the test. With this approach you can finish your prep in a day or two. That should be good enough.

If you have the time then you can read the book many times over and over again and go through a dozen different resources. But the approach I followed worked for me and the others as well. This is the minimum effective dose. i.e the bare minimum you need to prep to have a good shot at getting 20/20.

One thing you mentioned is pretty true. Without prep you can't pass the test. But that prep can come mostly from the MCQ tests. Because they collect the MCQ questions from years of Citizenship tests.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
how about the practice test on youtube with 404 questions, is it worth it please?
The problem with passive learning is that you may not be able to retain the information. You can watch the youtube video passively many times but it doesn't compare with actually seeing a question, reading it and trying to pick the best option. Active learning is how you remember things. Your mind must struggle at-least a little bit trying to reason through or trying to recall information. That's how you effectively learn information.

Keep it simple: Just 2 steps.
1. Discover Canada Guide: Skim through all the pages reading every line casually so you know at-least what the different areas that will be covered are.
2. Do the two linked tests again and again till you get everything 100% correct. Anything that you have a doubt on when you get it wrong in the test spend some time learning more about it.

After this is done then you can do whatever you want i.e youtube or going through detailed notes or attending Citizenship classes etc. Everything else is over complication and not necessary.

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other
Just thought of sharing the way I memorized the book. Try reading the easy chapters first. Start from the last chapter and try to do history in the end. When reading the history try aligning the years in sequence of the events happened. First time just read the book and understand it. Second time, read it more carefully and try remembering things. I was very nervous as I have been a medical student my whole life and history is not my forte. But when I did the test, I got 20/20 as it was pretty straightforward. Remember- the more you try to understand the book, the easier it will become for you to memorize it.

Reactions: navkrish

azzokhalifa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2022
I failed my test I was nervous and rushed it .. I didn’t know I could go back to the questions and fix my answer .. are they gonna reject my application now ?

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other
I failed my test I was nervous and rushed it .. I didn’t know I could go back to the questions and fix my answer .. are they gonna reject my application now ?
No. They will invite you one more time to take the test. If that is failed then you will do a 3rd attempt but with the officer. Like an oral test.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Relax! It's perfectly okay! They will give you a new date to take the test a second time. This time the test will be way more easy compared to the first.
I think it will take a month or so for you to get the new date. So, use this time to prepare well.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
The two practice tests which have around 154 questions + 61 Questions is good enough. The few dates and names mentioned in these tests are good enough to memorize.

My suggestion is to read the book casually once and then just keep redoing the two tests till you get all 100% correct. That is good enough to pass the test. With this approach you can finish your prep in a day or two. That should be good enough.

If you have the time then you can read the book many times over and over again and go through a dozen different resources. But the approach I followed worked for me and the others as well. This is the minimum effective dose. i.e the bare minimum you need to prep to have a good shot at getting 20/20.

One thing you mentioned is pretty true. Without prep you can't pass the test. But that prep can come mostly from the MCQ tests. Because they collect the MCQ questions from years of Citizenship tests.
I didn't say read over and over again. Once casually and once in detail, along with practice questions. 2 days prep is Sufficient.

aubo

Jan 27, 2024
I don't want to demoralize people reading this but the material you need to study prior to the exam is extremely dense and full of important names, dates and events.
It favors those who can memorize easily. The rest of us, we are scr*wed.