+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private healthcare with existing condition - Hypothyroidism

TeamBnB

Mar 8, 2015
Hi everyone,

We will need to get private health care or good travel insurance for our first couple of months in Canada.

My partner has hypothyroidism, a chronic disease requiring a daily medication. It is not expensive but we were wondering if this will be an issue for the insurance and the medical for the visa???

Any experience? advise? tips?

Many thanks
Sophie

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Some insurances will allow for pre-existing conditions as long as they have a recent history of being controlled by a certain medication with no recent changes to the dosage. Each insurance company is different in how they treat pre-existing conditions so it's best to call them and ask specifically.

Here is a site to compare costs of some various companies to travel insurance to Canada: https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada

TeamBnB

Mar 8, 2015
Hi Rob_TO

thank you for the link! some great information there!!!

The dose hasn't changed in 2 years now and he has no current symptoms.... so I guess we should get a letter from our doctor as evidence?!

Many thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He is allowed to bring with him up to a 3 months dosage so by the time he runs out of medications, he will be covered under provincial health care already and can go to a GP or a walk in and get a prescription without paying for it.

Medications are however generally not covered under provincial health care in Canada but as you say, they are very low cost so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Once you have provincial health care in place, you can also get supplementary insurance that covers dental and medication but if you are planning on working or studying, most employers / universities have group policies and if one of you is covered, the spouse is usually covered too.

TeamBnB

Mar 8, 2015
Hi Leon!

Thank you so much for your reply!!!

I didn't know that we can bring 3 months worth of medication with us.
Do we bed a letter from our doctor or any proof of the need for the medication?

Many thanks for you assistance!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
TeamBnB said:
so I guess we should get a letter from our doctor as evidence?!
Once you indicate in your insurance application about the pre-existing condition, I'm sure they will tell you all the data they need from your doctor to approve your insurance policy.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TeamBnB said:
Hi Leon!

Thank you so much for your reply!!!

I didn't know that we can bring 3 months worth of medication with us.
Do we bed a letter from our doctor or any proof of the need for the medication?

Many thanks for you assistance!
It would not be a bad idea to bring a copy of the prescription or a letter from your doctor to prove that he needs it in case somebody asks.

The website says:

The drug must be for the individual’s own personal use, for the use of a person for whom they are responsible and with whom they are travelling,.

The drug must be shipped/carried in one of the following:

*Hospital or pharmacy dispensed packaging;
*Original retail packaging; or
*have the original label affixed to it which clearly indicates what the health product is and what it contains.
You can find that here: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compli-conform/import-export/gui-0084_biu-uif-eng.php#a6

physio

Apr 21, 2012
No worries..this is not an issue, i have that same condition, just make sure that is controlled and treated, hope this help you.

TeamBnB

Mar 8, 2015
Hi

Thank you so much for all your imput!
The link is very helpful Leon thanks!

We will get a letter from our GP.... Luckily it's all under control and his dose is stable.

Many thanks once again!