+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private Contractor as Canadian Work Experience

Armand92

Jan 7, 2024
Hello All

I received a job offer in Teer 2 in Canada, but as a private contractor. I will be a full time employee only my title will be a private contractor. I have foreign work experience but I want to get more points for canadian work experience.so I was wondering if they would consider it Canadian work Experience, I did research i know I would not qualify for CEC, WilI I qualify for Federal skill worker?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you an employee of the company and being issued T4 slips. Does your paystubs include CPP deductions etc? If not then you are considered self employed and that doesn’t count as Canadian experience.

Armand92

Jan 7, 2024
Thank you for your reply, the answer is no to the above questions , but i will be working full time in that company, doesnt that count for FSW?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your reply, the answer is no to the above questions , but i will be working full time in that company, doesnt that count for FSW?
If you are on contract, not an employee and not getting T4 then you are considered self employed. You can count the experience under FSW but not CEC.

Armand92

Jan 7, 2024
Okay, so all i have to do is get 1 year full time contract and work in a canadian company,It would count for FSW even if im not getting the T4 and paystub with ccp reductions,

I just want to make sure , thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Okay, so all i have to do is get 1 year full time contract and work in a canadian company,It would count for FSW even if im not getting the T4 and paystub with ccp reductions,

I just want to make sure , thank you
You can count full time contract work as foreign experience. As for Canadian, if you have a Canadian job then how can you do two full time jobs at once. If there is overlap then there could be issues.

Armand92

Jan 7, 2024
I currently live in Canada, with no full time job, so i found the contract job which i havnt accepted yet , will that count for canadian exp. For FSW even without the T4 and ccp deductible. I have previous foreign exp.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I currently live in Canada, with no full time job, so i found the contract job which i havnt accepted yet , will that count for canadian exp. For FSW even without the T4 and ccp deductible. I have previous foreign exp.
If it is a contract (you aren’t an employee and don’t get T4s), it is not counted as Canadian experience

Armand92

Jan 7, 2024
Even under FSW, contract jobs without T4s are not considered canadian work experience? Even if they meet the criteria

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Even under FSW, contract jobs without T4s are not considered canadian work experience? Even if they meet the criteria
EE has 2 streams - FSW (for people without Canadian work experience) and CEC (year of Canadian work experience). If you are under FSW, you don’t have Canadian work experience. If you have a Canadian contract job without T4s, you are self-employed which does not count towards Canadian experience.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I dont have the work permit , its goung to be PGWP
So if you are an independant contractor, not an employee and not getting T4s, it does not count as Canadian experience. If you want Canadian experience, you must be an employee with T4s. So if you want Canadian experience, get another job.