+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Principal applicant mailing address different than residential address?

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
I mailed in my application this morning and just my luck, saw a post this afternoon about people getting their applications sent back if the principal applicants mailing address was listed in canada when their residential address is in another country, saying a Use of a Representative form is required. I have seen plenty of posts where this has happened, and I am fully aware it may now happen to me also, but to ease my mind a bit: can anyone chime in whose application was NOT returned in this circumstance?
Thank you!

Simmi100

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
I resubmitted application and next day read on forum I also need to submit IMM 5562.
Called CIC and they suggested to send missed form along with a explanation ASAP and said they'll try to attach this in my file, no guarantee.

Last time I received my file back after 40 days whereas AOR take only 10 days so possibly they hold file for may days before sending it back.

viva-c said:
I mailed in my application this morning and just my luck, saw a post this afternoon about people getting their applications sent back if the principal applicants mailing address was listed in canada when their residential address is in another country, saying a Use of a Representative form is required. I have seen plenty of posts where this has happened, and I am fully aware it may now happen to me also, but to ease my mind a bit: can anyone chime in whose application was NOT returned in this circumstance?
Thank you!

ch_wa

Star Member
May 13, 2012
My application reached CPC-Mississaua on March 27. I have given a Canadian mailing address of a friend while our residential address is in different country. This is because mailing system in our residence country is not well defined and is quite unreliable. I did not submit IMM 5475 form for release of information to a nominated person. Shall I do it now as I can still upload this form via Canada immigration website or you think it's not a big issue. Was your application returned only due to this specific reason or there were some other reasons also due to which you had to resubmit the application. Kindly advise. Thanks

udub

Feb 3, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2017
viva-c said:
Thank you!
I'm interested to know about this as well. Anyone do this and NOT get their application returned recently?

Pitt1234

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
I was not sure of my plans for next 6 months so I kept a US address as my residential address and my wife's Canadian address as the mailing address. That wasn't a problem for my application. Btw, like you, I also read similar forum posts, and mailed them a "Use of Representative form" declaring my wife as my representative to accept all documents on my behalf. I am not sure if that was required or even accepted; there was no acknowledgement of any sort. But anyways, my package did not get returned.

One problem that I did face recently was when my wife switched her job in Canada and had to move from Toronto to Vancouver and I wanted to change my mailing address using CIC's form: https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=coa&lang=en. Looks like there is a bug in CIC's portal as the portal won't accept any US residential address if the mailing address is set to Canada (It has Canada fixed as the country choice) . I sent CIC a request, but no response yet.

You may take this into consideration.

viva-c said:
Thank you!