+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Primary occupation - five year rule

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
Thank you!

my last 5 yrs experience is completely irrelevant with my education.

Can I still use those experience as a primary occupation for CEC?
no need to confuse with education & experience...

both are standalone criterion & you get points for ur education & experience no matter whether it is related or not (provided education gets ECA & experience features in the cic approved NOC list).

so if you've worked in a field totally different from ur education in last 10 years for a tenure of not less than 1 year continuous as a full time paid employee,and if that profession is on the noc list,put it as ur primary NOC and apply..
---
If ur canadain experience is there on Noc list,put that as the primary noc...no need to bother to establish a relation btn ur experience and education..
(Obviously there are certain profession where it would be illegal to practice without education like Medicine etc. other wise it is fine)

It doesn't affect you in any way...it'd be easier if you apply using the Canadian experience as it would be easier for the reference letters & the cic will process the files faster as the validation etc will be easier for them

Reactions: Mjkab

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
no need to confuse with education & experience...

both are standalone criterion & you get points for ur education & experience no matter whether it is related or not (provided education gets ECA & experience features in the cic approved NOC list).

so if you've worked in a field totally different from ur education in last 10 years for a tenure of not less than 1 year continuous as a full time paid employee,and if that profession is on the noc list,put it as ur primary NOC and apply..
---
If ur canadain experience is there on Noc list,put that as the primary noc...no need to bother to establish a relation btn ur experience and education..
(Obviously there are certain profession where it would be illegal to practice without education like Medicine etc. other wise it is fine)

It doesn't affect you in any way...it'd be easier if you apply using the Canadian experience as it would be easier for the reference letters & the cic will process the files faster as the validation etc will be easier for them
thanks a lot!
since I have already received NOI Ontario with non-Canadian primary occupation:

should I recreate my EE profile for OINP application (if I want to apply )?

or I can submit LOE?

And to remove FSW eligibility, what can I do?

my understanding is to make available fund 0. and also I have to change my non-Canadian primary occupation to Canadian one! right!

pino1130

Star Member
May 22, 2017
I'm quite concerned that do we have to mention EXACTLY all the duties listed in the lead statement of NOC in order to be qualified? I find this quite generic and not all the duties were done, it depends on the position actually. Thank you so much.

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
thanks a lot!
since I have already received NOI Ontario with non-Canadian primary occupation:

should I recreate my EE profile for OINP application (if I want to apply )?

or I can submit LOE?

And to remove FSW eligibility, what can I do?

my understanding is to make available fund 0. and also I have to change my non-Canadian primary occupation to Canadian one! right!
why do you want to change the primary noc if you got ur NOI on the basis of same?
if you are going to apply for OiNp do not change the NOCs
but Ontario specifically asks for the primary noc to be within last 5 years and if it is not so in ur case,there is a possibility that ur nomination application will be rejected.I don't think an LoE will work in this regard...
If u have CRS around 430 wait for subsequent draws or, withdraw ur profile and recreate with Canada experience as primary NOC..
--
changing the primary noc & its impact,I don't have sufficient info to advise...it may be risky...
Please put your question to bill after few days...he has replied in ray of hope 68 that he is busy for next few days...but he's the expert on OiNp

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
\
why do you want to change the primary noc if you got ur NOI on the basis of same?
if you are going to apply for OiNp do not change the NOCs
but Ontario specifically asks for the primary noc to be within last 5 years and if it is not so in ur case,there is a possibility that ur nomination application will be rejected.I don't think an LoE will work in this regard...
If u have CRS around 430 wait for subsequent draws or, withdraw ur profile and recreate with Canada experience as primary NOC..
--
changing the primary noc & its impact,I don't have sufficient info to advise...it may be risky...
Please put your question to bill after few days...he has replied in ray of hope 68 that he is busy for next few days...but he's the expert on OiNp
great help!

currently I am eligible for both FSW and CEC. But I want to go with CEC only. What can I do? so far I remember I have to put 0 on the fund option.
Could you please assist me with this?

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
If someone is having Canadian experience it automatically goes into cec
there's no difference other than extra points and some exemptions
proof of funds is exempted if u are working in Canada / has an offer...u just need to upload a letter of explanation in place of pof at the upload slot...
other than that there's no difference in process btn fsw & cec as far as I understand..
my info is limited when it comes to such complexities...

hatem1981

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
12-09-2017
Hi @lino82

I am a pharmacist, got my ECA and passed 1st exam in 2015, worked for pharmaceutical company under 2 job titles from 2006 to 2016, and for a year now at a pharmacy. I would like to know 2 things please

1st. Can I apply with ECA from Pebc using NOC code for my earlier jobs ? NOC 2211 &1254

2nd. or is it possible to use the 1 year recent experience and still claim maximum work points ?

Thnx a lot

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
Hi @lino82

I am a pharmacist, got my ECA and passed 1st exam in 2015, worked for pharmaceutical company under 2 job titles from 2006 to 2016, and for a year now at a pharmacy. I would like to know 2 things please

1st. Can I apply with ECA from Pebc using NOC code for my earlier jobs ? NOC 2211 &1254

2nd. or is it possible to use the 1 year recent experience and still claim maximum work points ?

Thnx a lot
the education & work experience are two distinct factors for calculation of CRS score...there's no need for linking education & work experience.
If pbec ECA is approved by cic (I'm sure I'd have checked before doing it) then you'll get score for the education based on the ECA report....
as for work experience, you can claim points for your work experience in last ten years...(irrespective of the field of work) ...provided the occupations are on the NOC list..
If your presen noc is above 1 year & is on the list ,and it is the field you want to pursue in Canada,then it may be ideal to keep as the primary noc & list the other experience as additional work experience for claiming points...
Work experience letters need to be complete with all details (term - designation- hours at work - duties -responsibilities- salary - that the job was permanent)...
you get max points for having 3 years work experience and you may exclude older experience (and mention it in personal history later ) ...however you may have to check if you lose eligibility under 6 point fsw selection criteria (you need 67 points in that, where higher work exp gets more points)...so see how many years you need to qualify 67 points and then put that many years in work experience...that way you'll save on extra paper work on experience that may not bring you any points...
browse the thread / search with key terms and you'll get lot of info

Reactions: hatem1981

hatem1981

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
12-09-2017
Thx lino but I am afraid in this case that education and work are related. As Pebc states it is designated for primary applicants who will apply as pharmacists ....and can't be used for other occupation as they replied in an email.

I wish anybody proves me wrong.

As for the last year of employment. Do they consider it a year since receiving ITA or applying for e-APR . It's 11.5 to 12.5 months . And I didn't mention it previously in express file as it was less than a year. But now its more than a year and I want to make it primary.

.I worked with no gaps for whole 10 y. Should I still claim Points for all work history ? (max 3 years)

Last edited:

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
Thx lino but I am afraid in this case that education and work are related. As Pebc states it is designated for primary applicants who will apply as pharmacists ....and can't be used for other occupation as they replied in an email.

I wish anybody proves me wrong.

As for the last year of employment. Do they consider it a year since receiving ITA or applying for e-APR . It's 11.5 to 12.5 months . And I didn't mention it previously in express file as it was less than a year. But now its more than a year and I want to make it primary.

.I worked with no gaps for whole 10 y. Should I still claim Points for all work history ? (max 3 years)
that's why I mentioned the 67 points fsw eligibility...
check how many years of experience will get you the required 67points...Without 67 points,you can't be in EE pool...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/ee-start.asp

in the 6 factor eligibility assessment,you get additional points for longer work experience...
If with 1 yr,you get 67 points okay...otherwise you may have to claim other experience too...

hatem1981

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
12-09-2017
that's why I mentioned the 67 points fsw eligibility...
check how many years of experience will get you the required 67points...Without 67 points,you can't be in EE pool...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/ee-start.asp

in the 6 factor eligibility assessment,you get additional points for longer work experience...
If with 1 yr,you get 67 points okay...otherwise you may have to claim other experience too...
Yes . Tried this with 1 year and it works. But in the express entry pool I want to claim all work history. But just base the primary NOC on the Las year

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
I myself had quoted the link in my previous reply yesterday...
Yes,primary noc is an occupation you were employed in within last 'ten' years...
earlier it had to be within five years,but changed by cic in last couple of months..
However,for Ontario immigrants Nomination Program,their rule stipulates the primary noc to be within last 5 years....
it means if you keep an occupation you worked in some six or seven years back as primary noc,it is okay as far as normal EE is concerned,but you won't be eligible for OiNp nomination.