+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pretty confused.

AllisonChains08

Star Member
Feb 5, 2009
I've been reading a lot about different ways to stay in Canada to be with someone I met, but I'm pretty confused. I know that as a US citizen I can come to Canada for up to 6 months, and I don't need a temporary residency visa. I was wondering how I would be able to stay longer than 6 months. I read that you can apply for an extension on a residency visa but how would you extend your stay if you're not even required to have a temp. residency visa? I'm pretty confused, sorry if this topic has already been brought up, I didn't notice it. Would the easiest way be to come for 6 months and try to find an employer to sponsor me for a work permit? I think I read that a work permit would allow me to stay for up to a year, but if I was not able to find a job is there any other option? I was also curious about the 6 month time limit, if you leave Canada then attempt to re-enter, are you granted a new 6 month period? Or do they frown upon you trying to re-enter right after your time limit is up? Or is that just dependent on the border patrol officer and how he/she is feeling that day :(

canuck

Feb 5, 2009
the sure thing will be to just cross border south once and then come back for next 6 months.....

Kac

Apr 8, 2009
I agree w/ you and have same questions. while on a spousal sponsorship can the sponsored person from america stay in Canada w/out the visitors permit and be able to stay w/just a passport? if so, after 6 mths w/pport can he renew the time here or have to go back home first?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are on a type of visa even though you don't actually need to get one. It's a bilateral agreement between Canada and the US. You are not supposed to stay in Canada for more than 6 months out of the year as a visitor, otherwise you are considered to be living there so if the border guards figure out you are coming back after staying for 6 months, they may stop you and deny you entry. You probably would get away with it though but the proper procedure to stay longer is to apply to extend your visitor status, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp for the forms.

travel_light

Jun 27, 2009
Hijacking this topic as it is very close to what I need answers to.

So in other words, 6 months out of the year is what Canada allows you to stay in the country without (m)any questions or filling out forms.

Does anyone know how likely it is to be granted an extension to the tourist "visa" if there one does not have any family connections to Canada? Is it enough to provide a record of sufficient funds?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to provide proof that you have funds to support yourself and that you will go home at the end of your new extended visa.