Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Reactions: scylla

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Someone's citizenship has got to get revoked, I guess. If they can't get actual citizens, maybe they'll settle for an honourary one?

Last edited:

DirectEnergy

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
To start with, did that Burmese lady ever ask Canada to give her that "honorary" citizenship?
If not, this whole situation reminds me of an old joke: I was chasing you for three hours to tell you how much I don't care about you.

Last edited:

Natan

May 22, 2015
they should revoke her Citizenship and Nobel Price since she has committed preventable crimes against humanity.
She has done no such thing. She has no position in the government. She has no legal authority. She is a private citizen who advises the prime minister. She cannot control Myanmar's armed forces, or anyone else taking part in the racial cleansing campaign against the Rohingya.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
She has done no such thing. She has no position in the government. She has no legal authority. She is a private citizen who advises the prime minister. She cannot control Myanmar's armed forces, or anyone else taking part in the racial cleansing campaign against the Rohingya.
So, what is she advising the PM to do? Is it worthy of having her honourary Canadian citizenship yanked or not?

Natan

May 22, 2015
So, what is she advising the PM to do? Is it worthy of having her honourary Canadian citizenship yanked or not?
That advise is confidential and privileged, and we members of the Canadian public are unlikely to ever know. The revocation of her honourary citizenship should be based on verifiable facts, not political expedience. In a just world, our "opinions" would be meaningless in this regard.

Reactions: links18

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
What does it achieve by revoking a symbolic title? It is not like her political career or her life or anything meaningful would depend on her honorary Canadian citizenship or anything, especially since she never asked for it in the first place

bbssmm88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hi
This is a political as well as ethical move because of the genocide that is targeting Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar....This president was a Nobel peace laureate and STILL she did nothing to stop the killing and ethnic cleansing. What a peace laureate!!??? So it is a political move due to ethical grounds...nothing more.

Natan

May 22, 2015
Hi
This is a political as well as ethical move because of the genocide that is targeting Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar....This president was a Nobel peace laureate and STILL she did nothing to stop the killing and ethnic cleansing. What a peace laureate!!??? So it is a political move due to ethical grounds...nothing more.
She is not President. She cannot be held responsible for the actions of the armed forces against the Rohingya.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
That advise is confidential and privileged, and we members of the Canadian public are unlikely to ever know. The revocation of her honourary citizenship should be based on verifiable facts, not political expedience. In a just world, our "opinions" would be meaningless in this regard.
OK, but wasn't giving her honourary citizenship an action of political experience in the first place? I am curious though what the legal provisions are for revoking someone's honourary citizenship? Are there even any? It seems like nobody considered such a thing would ever be pondered.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
What does it achieve by revoking a symbolic title? It is not like her political career or her life or anything meaningful would depend on her honorary Canadian citizenship or anything, especially since she never asked for it in the first place
I think the proponents of doing it think it is an embarrassment to Canada not to revoke her honourary citizenship given her supposed inaction on the genocide.

Natan

May 22, 2015
OK, but wasn't giving her honourary citizenship an action of political experience in the first place? I am curious though what the legal provisions are for revoking someone's honourary citizenship? Are there even any? It seems like nobody considered such a thing would ever be pondered.
To be honest, it is hard for me to take the honourariums given to politicians by politicians very seriously. For the most part, successful politicians are sociopathic (the political system was developed by sociopaths to benefit sociopaths), so the whole idea of honouring them is a joke, in poor taste, and at our (the public's) expense.