+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Presence calculation issues- Citizenship

Knightwpg

Apr 19, 2024
Hello,

Hope y'all doing great.

I've started applying for my citizenship but have a huge issue.

Back in 2022, I had a trip planned to India for a month which was on 13 Jan. A few days prior to my trip I got the portal request, in a few days I confirmed the residency and uploaded my picture before my flight on 13 Jan. On 17 Jan, I received my COPR while I was in India. My return was booked for 13 Feb and I got my PR card delivered to me in india and I made it back to canada on time.

When I report that period of absense in the Citizenship portal it says that the absense date has to be before or after the date I became a PR which was 17 Jan. Should I put my travel date as 18 Jan to 13 Feb or should I tell everything in a letter of explanation to avoid any issues?

I technically became PR when I was vacationing in India but I confirmed my residency while I was in Canada. It was a really time sensitive period and I couldnt cancel my flight due to unavoidable reasons.

I would really appreciate if you can share your suggestions/advise.

Thank you

RamyMN

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hello,

Hope y'all doing great.

I've started applying for my citizenship but have a huge issue.

Back in 2022, I had a trip planned to India for a month which was on 13 Jan. A few days prior to my trip I got the portal request, in a few days I confirmed the residency and uploaded my picture before my flight on 13 Jan. On 17 Jan, I received my COPR while I was in India. My return was booked for 13 Feb and I got my PR card delivered to me in india and I made it back to canada on time.

When I report that period of absense in the Citizenship portal it says that the absense date has to be before or after the date I became a PR which was 17 Jan. Should I put my travel date as 18 Jan to 13 Feb or should I tell everything in a letter of explanation to avoid any issues?

I technically became PR when I was vacationing in India but I confirmed my residency while I was in Canada. It was a really time sensitive period and I couldnt cancel my flight due to unavoidable reasons.

I would really appreciate if you can share your suggestions/advise.

Thank you
With the enhancements introduced by COVID 19, things are getting tricky.
I recommend using the physical presence calculation tool
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do
And include a printout of the results with your application.
Did you try splitting your visit into 2 parts
Jan 13 to Jan 16, and Jan 17 till the end of your trip. See how that works.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Enter 2 different trips, one finishing the day you became a PR and one starting that day.
That will give you credit for a day you don't want, so obviously don't apply without it covered with your buffer, and add a LOE saying that you did what you did for system limitation reasons.