+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing your Landing - What to take with you - For new Comers ONLY

jitz

Star Member
Oct 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can bring everything you think you'll need.

If you cannot bring with you all the things that you own and would like to bring along, Canada allows you to bring in such items duty free at a later date (10 years period after "Landing").

It is important to know that at the time of "Landing" you will need to provide a complete list of all such items; if you failed to provide this list at the TIME of landing then you will lose this opportunity (as happened with one of my mate ... as nobody mentioned this to him).

The list should provide detailed descriptions as well as Model Numbers and Serial Numbers of items if they have such numbers. Bring two copies of this list of "Goods to Follow". Canada Customs will stamp one copy when you "Land" and give it to you. (They will keep the other copy.)

When you ship the "Goods to Follow", the stamped copy must accompany the shipment for duty free entry.

The question now is: is it cost effective to bring all your stuff with you? well, it depends on where are you coming from. you have to calculate the shipping cost and compare it with how much the new furniture and stuff would cost in Canada minus the selling price of your used stuff.

However, there are things that you can not (or at least not recommended) to bring with you. Here in Canada, apartments come with 3 appliances (Fridge, Oven, and there is centralized washing machines and driers), so don't bring yours. Also in most cases there are closets in the walls, so don't bring closets.

On the other hand, away from BIG furniture pieces that cost a lot to ship, I encourage you to bring with you all the portable tools like: kitchen tools, plates, pans, books, stationary, kids toys, etc... and don't think like "I will buy new when I arrive" because you will be very busy adapting and settling and it's not as easy as your country to buy anything you want because you will be new to Canada at the beginning.

jitz

Star Member
Oct 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rami Farah said:
What about Cargo from Dubai to Canada?
Hi Rami Farah ,

you can arrange cargo or a courier agent to ship your household item to Canada either by sea or air

Hope42010

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Brazil
Don’t forget to look if the voltage is compatible with your equipment also, the electrical plugs you may need adapters or transformers, forget about small appliances they are cheap and it is not cost effective to have it shipped. Large appliances are provided with your rental as mentioned above.

My experience shows that only personal things (pictures, clothing, documents) and expensive items like tools or electronics are worth to ship. Everything else, just sell it and buy brand new there.

My two cents.

brill

Dec 11, 2009
Rami Farah said:
What about Cargo from Dubai to Canada?
Hi,
Can I take used quilts,pillows and bedsheets in our luggage or cargo it?or any kitchen tools...(cutlery,crockery,cooking utencils)
Once we will land there can we learn all English skills as a distance learning course from Canada university which would be accredited.If we would study there MA or English language skills online/distance learning or in campus would we will be able to take Canada govt. study finance?Are online courses and incampus courses have same value if we are studying within Canada as a PR student?or which is more acceptable by Canada companies?If anybody knows any good recognized distance learning or incampus university,do tell me as there are many.Don't know which one is good.Any good university of Cornwall???
Does anybody know monthly rent in the suburbs of Cornwall or in the Corwall city?
Kindly guide me .