+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing for Landing...a few questions

queen latifah

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Hey guys, I'm flying to Toronto on Aug 11 by Lufthansa and I have a few questions...responses from Qorax, PMM and other senior members would be helpful.

1. After the initial landing process is over, and if I travel let's say to the USA and then re-enter Canada, do I still need to show the proof of funds again for my second and any subsequent entries...or is it just a one time procedure??

2. After landing, can I immediately go to the service offices for my SIN card? Can I immediately work, if I find job, with just a SIN and not the card??

3. What is the process of applying for medical insurance provided by the province..in may case, Ontario?

4. I have a valid California Driver's License, will this alone let me be able to drive in Ontario?

5. I have an excellent credit history in the USA, can this be helpful in attaining a credit card from a Canadian Bank...or will I have to build up a credit history all over again?? If I do, how can I do that..i was thinking, probably to get a cellphone connection by depositing some money and subsequently making regular payments, to help build credit..

6. Is it better to rent a room, basement or an apartment, for newcomers? although I'll be staying with a relative for 2 weeks, I wanna make sure I have a good place to stay at.

7. How far is toronto from Brampton? Is Brampton a good place to live at??

8. Is there anybody in thois forum who'll be in Toronto or Brampton,I'll need all the support possible.

Thanks guys..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You only have to show proof of funds when you land. If you leave Canada again before you get your PR card, if you are visa exempt, you can use your landing papers to enter and if you are not, you will need to apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy. It is also possible if you are staying in the US so long that your PR card has already been mailed to your relative in Canada, your relative can mail it to you where you are and you can use it to enter.

2. You can apply for SIN card immediately and you can immediately work with just a SIN and no card. You should get the card within 2 weeks though.

3. There is no need to apply for OHIP right away since you will not get it until you have lived in ON for 3 months anyway. When you do go there to apply, you need to bring some proof that you live in ON. Rental agreement, job contract, pay slips and official mail sent to your address could all work for that.

4. You can drive on your license for 2 months, then you have to do an exchange to an Ontario license. See here: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeOutProv.aspx what the requirements are.

5. Get your credit report in the US and show it in Canada when you try to apply for things. It may help. You can also ask your bank in the US to write a reference letter for you.

6. You will have to look for housing and pick something you like that is within your expectations and budget.

7. If you look at google maps, see http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Toronto,+Ontario&daddr=Brampton,+ON&hl=en&geocode=FZQVmgIdXbtE-ymlO8bXkMvUiTF3xLQqUFU1Mg%3BFZeVmgIdzPU--ym_WtCl6hUriDF3hsN8ZjEtNQ&mra=ls&sll=43.685271,-79.759924&sspn=0.140273,0.308647&g=Brampton,+Ontario&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11 it's about 40km from downtown Brampton to downtown Toronto. I do not know anybody in Brampton, I have no idea if it is a good place to live.