+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prepare for Arrival - Study (International Student)

mikescotchwhisky

Oct 16, 2016
Hello Everyone! I got my approval letter on my study permit last November 16, 2016.

I already have a plane ticket and my flight will be on the 6th of December.

Class starts on 9th of January. (2017)

Congratulations to all of the applicants who got approved.

International Students in Canada:
1. Can you please share your experiences about the things we need to prepare upon arrival?
2. How can we apply for a work? On or Off campus? Can we ask the CBSA about the 20 Hours per week?

Please share more info. Thank You.

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless you are coming from the United States you will have to apply for your study permit before entering Canada.

mikescotchwhisky

Oct 16, 2016
chrbrow said:
Unless you are coming from the United States you will have to apply for your study permit before entering Canada.
What do you mean? I already have a study permit. Just wanted to know the things to prepare such as documents needed by the CBSA when you arrive in the airport.

CanucksRock

Nov 21, 2016
1. You need all your documents in your carry on luggage for your entry to Canada. This is listed on the letter you received, either email or with your passport, when you received our permit. You need that exact letter, your letter of acceptance to school, proof showing you have funds to enter Canada, the address where you will be staying, your TRAVEL MEDICAL INSURANCE (important!!!) and I recommend having your entire application with you upon arrival. Once the CBSA checks that you are permissible into Canada, they will issue you your study permit.

Even though you have a study permit approved, every single person that's not a PR or Canadian is screened at the border for entry and can always be refused if they believe that you can't support yourself, you have a criminal record that hasn't been dealt with, or they suspect you will violate your visa.

2. You can work according to the amount of classes you take. If you are full time, you can work 20 hours per week off campus, and unlimited on campus during school. It's full time during breaks. If you are part time, you cannot work. You should not need to ask the CBSA about this, you should know this because it's a condition of your visa!! You have to know ALL the conditions of your visa because it's YOUR VISA. Research the conditions before you arrive.

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The following documents must be provided with a study permit application for both new applications and renewals:

Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada form [IMM 1294] (overseas) or Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student form [IMM 5709] (inland);
Family Information form [IMM 5645], if applicable;
Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada form [IMM 5257], if applicable;
Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union form [IMM 5409], if applicable;
Custodianship Declaration form [IMM 5646], for applicants who are minors;
Use of a Representative form [IMM 5476], if applicable;
Letter of acceptance (outside of Canada), or letter of enrolment or transcript (renewals) from a designated learning institution (DLI)Footnote 1;
Proof of financial support;
Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) or letter of approval from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI) for a CAQ for applicants destined to Quebec;
Application processing fee payment, and if applicable, biometric process fee payment;
Proof of identity:
original valid passport, or
photocopy of the information/biodata page of the applicant’s passport;
Two recent passport-sized photographsFootnote 2 (applicant’s name and date of birth should be written on the back of the photos); and
Proof of completion of upfront medical examination from the panel physician (optional).

mikescotchwhisky

Oct 16, 2016
CanucksRock said:
1. You need all your documents in your carry on luggage for your entry to Canada. This is listed on the letter you received, either email or with your passport, when you received our permit. You need that exact letter, your letter of acceptance to school, proof showing you have funds to enter Canada, the address where you will be staying, your TRAVEL MEDICAL INSURANCE (important!!!) and I recommend having your entire application with you upon arrival. Once the CBSA checks that you are permissible into Canada, they will issue you your study permit.

Even though you have a study permit approved, every single person that's not a PR or Canadian is screened at the border for entry and can always be refused if they believe that you can't support yourself, you have a criminal record that hasn't been dealt with, or they suspect you will violate your visa.

2. You can work according to the amount of classes you take. If you are full time, you can work 20 hours per week off campus, and unlimited on campus during school. It's full time during breaks. If you are part time, you cannot work. You should not need to ask the CBSA about this, you should know this because it's a condition of your visa!! You have to know ALL the conditions of your visa because it's YOUR VISA. Research the conditions before you arrive.
Hello CanucksRock, Thank you so much. I just want to ask about the TRAVEL MEDICAL INSURANCE, what do you mean by that. You mean the flight insurance or the insurance that the school will provide. Because I am still planning to pay my remaining tuition fees when I arrive in Canada.

CanucksRock

Nov 21, 2016
I mean whatever insurance covers you for medical emergencies. Your school medical insurance is likely for EXTENDED health only - dentist, drugs, etc. NOT for emergency room visits if you are hit by a car or break a leg. You MUST have medical insurance (usually travel medical insurance) that covers up to $5 million dollars for emergency coverage. Medical care in Canada is expensive and NOT free for visitors. Depending on the province, you may be able to apply for the provincial medical coverage, but you must check with the province. Routine doctors visits, drugs, tests etc are not covered unless you are a covered under the provincial plan. The school plan is does not cover this. You MUST double check. An emergency room visit, no matter what the complaint, starts at $800, an inpatient bed is $1500 per day, an ambulance ride is $800. As soon as you arrive in Canada, Day 1, you must have some type of insurance that covers your medical expenses if you get hit by a car, break a leg, get into an accident.

Oct 26, 2017
proof showing you have funds to enter Canada
Sorry to restart an old thread, but I lost my original letter for proof of funds, though I have the scans of it. I already have a student visa, and I'm an exchange student studying for less than 6 months. Will presenting a copy of the letter be an issue? Thank You!