+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pregnant without OHIP

Ales

Apr 19, 2010
Dear Leon,
could you please explain in little bit more details? If I we became PRs in Ontario without obtaining OHIP, left Canada and come back to Canada to settle and give a birth, will my girlfriend get a coverage immediately in any other province or will this three month waiting period be in place?
Thanks a lot.
Ales

No, I will explain. It is and has always been for every province that if you come from another province, you are covered by the last province for the first 3 months and then by the new one. Say with OHIP, if you have OHIP and move to AB, OHIP will cover you for 3 months, then you get AB health. If you move from AB to ON, AB health will cover you for 3 months until you get OHIP.

If you move from another country, in most cases, it still takes you 3 months to get health care. That means you have no health care for 3 months and have to buy insurance.

Some provinces are nice enough that they do not want you to be without insurance for the first 3 months when you move from another country so they will offer you to cover you from day 1. Alberta is one of them and that is only if you are moving from another country and have no healthcare from another province.
[/quote]

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually, most provinces are nice enough to give you health coverage right away when you are moving from another country. It is currently only Ontario, BC, Quebec and New Brunswick that make you wait for 3 months. Last I heard, NB was going to abolish this waiting time and Quebec makes exceptions for pregnancy and childbirth.

careymcgregor

Nov 13, 2012
ashina said:
i am here canada to live wid my husband n he is sponsoring me n i m pregnant nw..... n hav no health insurance ... m frm the United States....the health expenses here r very expensive n i was wondering if thr is ne organization or nethin tht helps such ppl.

i dont knw wat 2 do as i m really worried n tense... plz help me out!

Hi, my name is Carey McGregor and I was born and raised in Canada. My wife, who is from overseas and I were married in Canada, we have a Canadian son (bc of me automatically), we now live in Canada again and my wife is pregnant, without OHIP,,, this is a really shitty situation as you know, there are no options, and no private insurance to cover delivery of a baby in Canada, it's not recommended that m wife leaves Canada, $10-20k to have a baby here,, as you know it's a horror story,,,
I have an appointment with the media this week, a trip to Ottawa is in the works, a big event to get the word out is being planned, an online petition to change legislation is in the works, so now I need victims, people who have been through this and/or people who would rather not go through this crap and continue on with the natural progression of a family and have babies as 'they' seem fit, not the government,, foreign workers in Canada get OHIP and when their family come over, they also get OHIP,, which means they have more rights than me,, that's crap,,, so if you could give me a call or send me an email asap, that would help my family and other families in the future,, as I will fight until there is no more fight, and chances of that happening are slim.

Thank-you for your time,

Carey McGregor
905 518 3028
careymcgregor@yahoo.com

careymcgregor

Nov 13, 2012
SAM6 said:
My wife has the same situation , except she is out of Canada .... we did not do the OHIP .... how much does it cost to have a baby in toronto ? is there a solution like running to emergency room hospital?? would be still charged for delivery??
Hi, my name is Carey McGregor and I was born and raised in Canada. My wife, who is from overseas and I were married in Canada, we have a Canadian son (bc of me automatically), we now live in Canada again and my wife is pregnant, without OHIP,,, this is a really shitty situation as you know, there are no options, and no private insurance to cover delivery of a baby in Canada, it's not recommended that m wife leaves Canada, $10-20k to have a baby here,, as you know it's a horror story,,,
I have an appointment with the media this week, a trip to Ottawa is in the works, a big event to get the word out is being planned, an online petition to change legislation is in the works, so now I need victims, people who have been through this and/or people who would rather not go through this crap and continue on with the natural progression of a family and have babies as 'they' seem fit, not the government,, foreign workers in Canada get OHIP and when their family come over, they also get OHIP,, which means they have more rights than me,, that's crap,,, so if you could give me a call or send me an email asap, that would help my family and other families in the future,, as I will fight until there is no more fight, and chances of that happening are slim.

Thank-you for your time,

Carey McGregor
905 518 3028
careymcgregor@yahoo.com

careymcgregor

Nov 13, 2012
Chinaconnection said:
Leon,

thanks. I mean how much can one buy security insurance before waiting to be covered? I read somewhere , somebody bought insurance for 300dollars for a 3 months period for himsef, wife and kid.Is that possible ?

Next Question, as a Canadian PR can one transit via New York to Canada without a transit visa ?

Thank-you for your time,

Carey McGregor
905 518 3028
careymcgregor@yahoo.com