+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant with PR card returning to Canada.

Ricoz

Jun 6, 2011
Hi all,

I got my PR card last September and now I'm pregnant and want to return to Canada for good next July. I'll be 7 months pregnant by then. Can I face any problems with immigration at the airport? As I heard a lot of pregnant ladies with visit visa are returned back to their countries and not granted entrance.

Ps. I have my OHIP card as well

Thanks.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ricoz said:
Hi all,

I got my PR card last September and now I'm pregnant and want to return to Canada for good next July. I'll be 7 months pregnant by then. Can I face any problems with immigration at the airport? As I heard a lot of pregnant ladies with visit visa are returned back to their countries and not granted entrance.

Thanks.
If you have not done a travel booking, talk with your travel agent or airline's local office or to their office at the departing airport. Some airlines need a medical fitness certificate for air travel of the 7 months plus pregnant woman . However, it depends on the air line staff at the airport. Perhaps they may permit for travel or may ask for medical certificate. However, the Immigration or Customs will not stop a pregnant woman to travel, if the airlines already gave a boarding pass.

If you heard that any pregnant woman visitor was refused entry to Canada by immigration, that could be probably due to their insufficient medical insurance coverage or for not having sufficient funds to meet the exorbitant hospital charges for delivery in Canada.

Ricoz

Jun 6, 2011
The airline policy is okay as they asked me for the medical certificate as I won't be 36 weeks by then. But I need to know about immigration at Canada?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you are a PR and holding a PR Card and health card, you should not be refused entry by any one at the arriving air port in Canada. You will report first to the CBSA counter and need not pass through the immigration (BSO ). If I am not wrong, am pretty sure that they won't bother about your pregnancy.

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ricoz said:
Hi all,
Thanks.
Hi, Ricoz,

Very well explained by Wilson,

My little Addition:
You may plan to travel early in your first trimester (week # 4 -13) or second trimester (week # 14- 27) it means before or month 4 – 5, there will be no problem with immigration or entring in Canada with pregnancy and your OHIP card will cover your all delivery charges.

You can fly on commercial airlines without restriction during your first and second trimesters, but during your third trimester you may run into some restrictions.

All airlines recommend that you consult your doctor before traveling at any point in your pregnancy. Play it safe by getting a "permission-to-travel" letter from your healthcare provider.

You won't – and shouldn't – get one if your pregnancy is considered high-risk. You must consider your and your baby health.

For more details on pregnancy, your health, baby health and airline contact details and information see this link:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_airline-policies-for-pregnant-travelers_6976.bc

regards,

hmisabpk

Ricoz

Jun 6, 2011
Thank you all for the swift reply. I have no choice as my contract ends in June. But I already contacted the travel agency and they asked for the medical certificate. I hope everything works fine :)

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course Ricoz, you will not face any problem. Take care
Thanks hmisabpk for your additions.