+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy with Visitor Visa

Weronpc

Oct 7, 2010
Hello All,

My name is Mike. I am a Canadian Citizen and currently living in Ontario, Brampton.

Last year I married with my wife who is a Chinese Citizen. My wife was pregnant in May 2010 and we are expecting to have our first child early next year. My wife came to Canada in September 2010 as a Visitor, since her Visitor Visa will expire few months after the baby born, I was wondering do you have any advice with health program and insurance that could suggest?

I am not a rich person, but do have some saving, just trying to save few dollars here, we all know babies can be expensive :). Any tips, experience you had or recommendation are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I only know that if anyone is pregant without ontario health cards, they need to pay for a private insurrance to cover all these expenditures, espcially the baby delivery costs a lot like $5000-10,000.

How did your wife managed to get a visitor visa to come to Canada? I would like to invite my in-laws (also Chinese citizens) to come here visting us.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
It probably won't help with the health care for the birth, but if you haven't already, you should apply to sponsor her for PR ASAP:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Weronpc

Oct 7, 2010
steaky said:
I only know that if anyone is pregant without ontario health cards, they need to pay for a private insurrance to cover all these expenditures, espcially the baby delivery costs a lot like $5000-10,000.
$5000-10,000..... that is going to make me cry.. :eek: I was expecting 3 to 4 thousand dollars.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Try midwives. Read suin's post:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/babys-t54623.0.html

Weronpc said:
$5000-10,000..... that is going to make me cry.. :eek: I was expecting 3 to 4 thousand dollars.

Weronpc

Oct 7, 2010
steaky said:
How did your wife managed to get a visitor visa to come to Canada? I would like to invite my in-laws (also Chinese citizens) to come here visting us.
You will need to send the person in China by mail a invitation letter (signed and dated), bank balance statement to prove that you can support the during of the person's stay in Canada (stamped by bank).

Fill out forms (I cannot post link on this site) and sent it to China's local Canadian Visa Office. The wait time for me is approximately 1 week.

I can send you a copy of my invitation letter if you need an example, just email me weronpc @ yahoo.ca

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
job_seeker said:
PR is Permanent Resident/cy. Suin arrived in Canada pregnant and her OHIP has not taken effect yet when she delivered her baby so she consulted with midwives.
First I arrived in Canada on a visitor visa (being almost 4 months pregnant), then in 4 months I got my PR status. So most of my pregnancy was before I got PR status and it didn't cost us almost anything and the midwives' service was just as good as obstetricians'.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Oh, okay. Stand corrected. :-[ You consulted with midwives while your PR was in process. How about when you gave birth, who attended to it? Thanks.

Suin said:
First I arrived in Canada on a visitor visa (being almost 4 months pregnant), then in 4 months I got my PR status. So most of my pregnancy was before I got PR status and it didn't cost us almost anything and the midwives' service was just as good as obstetricians'.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
job_seeker said:
Oh, okay. Stand corrected. :-[ You consulted with midwives while your PR was in process. How about when you gave birth, who attended to it? Thanks.
I was on a visitor visa most of my pregnancy and they treated me as a visitor or as a person without OHIP. We were with midwives all the pregnancy thru and they were present at the delivery too.

arron

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
Just a thought but check around the toronto area community health care clinics, they probably have experience dealing with pregnancies with no OHIP, make a ton of calls, I wouldn't bother with private insurance, it might be worth calling but I highly doubt they will cover anything related to a pregnancy.

I'm fairly certain that if your pregnant wife shows up at the emergency room they will take her in and she will be treated like any other person who's provincial health care has lapsed, IE they send the bill in the mail, I don't think you will be looking at anything like $15,000 but definitely call the hospital you plan on delivering at (be careful some brampton hospitals have a bad rap)

Weronpc

Oct 7, 2010
To All: Midwifery service in Ontario are free, we are calling them and trying to get a spot, expecting them to call back sometime early next week. I will update later.
I am not a rich person, but do have some saving, I am just like any normal person, I do hope to save some money, after all, baby can be expensive.

Thanks

chau01

Star Member
May 29, 2006
Suin said:
Hi Suin,

My wife is 6 months pregnant and got TRV, will she have any problem from immigration at airport?

please advise

Weronpc

Oct 7, 2010
chau01 said:
Hi Suin,

My wife is 6 months pregnant and got TRV, will she have any problem from immigration at airport?

please advise
it's not up to the people at the air port, your wife will need to have a doctor's note (we paid 500 Hong Kong dollars) to proof she is safe to travel. At the beginning we didn't know it is required, lucky there is a doctor's office at Hong Kong Airport.

Hope this help.