+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Predictions on Refugee Claim Timeline?

mericcdincc

Jun 15, 2023
I made an asylum claim from inside Canada by the end of January 2023.

Had my eligibility interview on the first week of March 2023.

On mid April 2023, received notification that my application is considered for less-complex case without needing a hearing.

I was asked additional documents for the file review process with the deadline of first week of May 2023.

No further notifications from IRB or IRCC ever since. When should I expect a decision? Is “by the end of summer” too optimistic?

Reactions: moref1988

mericcdincc

Jun 15, 2023
If everything good and your case strong maybe you will find approve decision in your mail within couples of weeks
I hope so. It has been smooth sailing so far. I came from Turkey, so I can only hope that the re-election of Erdogan has made my case even stronger.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

On mid April 2023, received notification that my application is considered for less-complex case without needing a hearing.

I was asked additional documents for the file review process with the deadline of first week of May 2023.

No further notifications from IRB or IRCC ever since. When should I expect a decision? Is “by the end of summer” too optimistic?
Very unusual to be told you don’t need a hearing before the review of documents. Was this based on being LGBTQIA+? This is not a typical situation so tough to predict how long it will take. Could take weeks but also could take months. Could even be reassessed and determined to need a hearing. Impossible to predict.

Reactions: sky9600

moref1988

Star Member
Feb 28, 2023
Congrats. What is the difference this letter’s than other classical file review less complex letters?

my letter just said your claim might be accepted without a hearing but your this letter sounds better.

Aboje

May 6, 2023
Ontario
Very unusual to be told you don’t need a hearing before the review of documents. Was this based on being LGBTQIA+? This is not a typical situation so tough to predict how long it will take. Could take weeks but also could take months. Could even be reassessed and determined to need a hearing. Impossible to predict.
With respect but your informations is wrong

they chose some applications depending on criteria they updated all time
They select before reviewing any things

after that they notice you are selected without hearing if you have anything you can provide us

After that they study the file if they accept good if not they transfer your file to schedule hearing because in the law they can’t refuse you without giving you the hearing

this informations in website you can check by yourself
Thank you

mericcdincc

Jun 15, 2023
Congrats. What is the difference this letter’s than other classical file review less complex letters?

my letter just said your claim might be accepted without a hearing but your this letter sounds better.
Sounds like our letters may be the same. The exact wording in mine is:

“Your claim may be accepted without a hearing (file-review process) and decided earlier if the deadlines below are met.”

mericcdincc

Jun 15, 2023
It’s not certain that I won’t need a hearing. They said it may be resolved without a hearing. My lawyer said whenever they receive this kinda notification, it always ends up not needing a hearing and they always win their case. Yes, it’s an LGBTQIA+ asylum case.

Turkish government has organised anti-LGBT rallies/gatherings and advertised them on billboards and on national TV last September, so I’d say without even needing a hearing for the case seems plausible.

You should also consider that they tend to fast track everything immigration related from Turkey because of the recent earthquake disaster.

moref1988

Star Member
Feb 28, 2023
“Your claim may be accepted without a hearing (file-review process) and decided earlier if the deadlines below are met.”
This is same but “ my application is considered for less-complex case without needing a hearing” is different.

Mine was less complex case with file review.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With respect but your informations is wrong

they chose some applications depending on criteria they updated all time
They select before reviewing any things

after that they notice you are selected without hearing if you have anything you can provide us

After that they study the file if they accept good if not they transfer your file to schedule hearing because in the law they can’t refuse you without giving you the hearing

this informations in website you can check by yourself
Thank you
The person posted that they won’t need a hearing before their case was assessed so that would be incredibly unusual. In reality they received a standard letter saying that they are being considered as less complex and MAY not need a hearing which is very different.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It’s not certain that I won’t need a hearing. They said it may be resolved without a hearing. My lawyer said whenever they receive this kinda notification, it always ends up not needing a hearing and they always win their case. Yes, it’s an LGBTQIA+ asylum case.

Turkish government has organised anti-LGBT rallies/gatherings and advertised them on billboards and on national TV last September, so I’d say without even needing a hearing for the case seems plausible.

You should also consider that they tend to fast track everything immigration related from Turkey because of the recent earthquake disaster.
That’s no what you originally wrote. Your case will be assessed like all other cases that are be reviewed as non-complex and after your documents are reviewed you will either not need a hearing, need a short hearing or require a full hearing. There are similar cases where a hearing is required although typically a short hearing. A lawyer should never be promising that a case will not need a hearing. What you received seems to be the standard response for non-complex cases. There is still a large LGBTQ+ population in Turkey so don’t think Turkey LGBTQ+ cases are all processed without hearing. Unfortunately there are many worse places to be part of the LGBTQ+ and unfortunately some people have fraudulent claims stating they are part of the LGBTQ+. In certain cultures people may not be openly out so they may lack evidence and therefore need a hearing.

Only cases related to the Earthquake are processed differently and mostly those outside of Canada or visitors to Canada. Asylum claims are processed very differently to the other immigration cases.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is same but “ my application is considered for less-complex case without needing a hearing” is different.

Mine was less complex case with file review.
Think that there was an error in the initial posting and that they received the standard letter for non-complex cases

hervet

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022

Don’t ask too many questions just keep your convictions that you will be approved with or without a hearing. Some comments here might side track you. I have received a positive notice of decision this month after only 8 months or 9 in Canada. My case was initially less complex and later the minister’s delegate decided to attend my hearing for credibility issues , when I asked some questions here and said I wanted to go to the hearing without any lawyer because I honestly don’t trust those businessmen no body encouraged me, all the comments were making me lose my confidence but I went to the hearing alone and won the case infront of the Minister. My advice shut your ears.

sky9600

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023

Best of luck. I hope you'll hear a good news soon. Where did your Eligibility Interview take place on?

Yaad23

Jan 10, 2023
Don’t ask too many questions just keep your convictions that you will be approved with or without a hearing. Some comments here might side track you. I have received a positive notice of decision this month after only 8 months or 9 in Canada. My case was initially less complex and later the minister’s delegate decided to attend my hearing for credibility issues , when I asked some questions here and said I wanted to go to the hearing without any lawyer because I honestly don’t trust those businessmen no body encouraged me, all the comments were making me lose my confidence but I went to the hearing alone and won the case infront of the Minister. My advice shut your ears.
Congrats on winning your case! My hearing is literally tomorrow and my case is similar to urs. It was initially less complex then minister intervened. How was the hearing with the minister? And did you get your decision at the end of the hearing. I'm fully confident about my case because everything is 100% true. Thanks in advance!