+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR will be expired coming Sep.

JA

Jan 11, 2011
Hello,

My husband's PR will be expired soon(early September 2013), he stayed only 3 months due to his work out of Canada. Now I wonder how we can verify his current PR is not valid any more. Is the way to apply travel document ?

Thank you very much .
JA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he is still outside Canada, you can wait until his PR card is expired and then he can apply for a travel document. The travel document will probably be denied if his sole reason for being outside Canada is working and he is not working for a Canadian employer who transferred him.

If his travel document is denied, he will lose his PR. If you are a PR who lives in Canada and meets the residency requirements or you are a citizen, you would be able to sponsor him for PR again.

kiwi1959

Star Member
Jun 17, 2012
Hi Leon,

I'll be in same situation as my PR expires in 5 months from now). I stayed only 40 days in Canada since landing for the same reason (no Job opportunity, I had no choice but to financially support my wife and children by working outside Canada).
I am planning to use my PR next month to visit my family (probably for the last time as I'll be reported probably) .

Question-1: The fact to be reported in my next visit, would it negatively affect my wife's request to sponsor me.

Question-2: How to convince the Immigartion Officer that I am decided to ssettle down this time ?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kiwi1959 said:
I'll be in same situation as my PR expires in 5 months from now). I stayed only 40 days in Canada since landing for the same reason (no Job opportunity, I had no choice but to financially support my wife and children by working outside Canada).
I am planning to use my PR next month to visit my family (probably for the last time as I'll be reported probably) .

Question-1: The fact to be reported in my next visit, would it negatively affect my wife's request to sponsor me.

Question-2: How to convince the Immigartion Officer that I am decided to ssettle down this time ?
Your wife can not sponsor you unless you lose or renounce your old PR first so if the IO wants to report you, you may be better off telling them that you accept your loss of PR and renounce it so that your wife can sponsor you.

If you don't meet the residency requirements, it is not really relevant if you plan to settle down or not. You can tell them that is your plan but be advised that they will look at your history. You have had years to settle down in Canada and you didn't so why should they believe you now?

JA

Jan 11, 2011
Thank you , Leon for the reply.
Would you explain how to renounce the PR? Is is same as being denied travel document ?

Again thank you very much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can read about it here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf page 21. An application for a TD can be used to determine that you do not meet the residency requirements and this will allow you to renounce your PR status.

jiff

Mar 21, 2009
Hi I am in somewhat different situation. I am going to lose my PR validity soon as I did not fulfil the residency requirement. But one of my child still maintaining and living in Canada as PR. If we lose our PR soon, can my daughter sponsor me and othe family members who were originally got the PR together with my daughter? I was the main applicant when we applied to migrate. Please explain

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jiff said:
Hi I am in somewhat different situation. I am going to lose my PR validity soon as I did not fulfil the residency requirement. But one of my child still maintaining and living in Canada as PR. If we lose our PR soon, can my daughter sponsor me and othe family members who were originally got the PR together with my daughter? I was the main applicant when we applied to migrate. Please explain
No, your daughter will not have an easy time sponsoring the rest of your family back. It is relatively easy to sponsor a spouse and dependent children but not easy to sponsor parents and siblings.

Sponsorship of parents used to take years and in the end they put it on hold, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives.asp and in the time being, the only other option for parents aside from immigrating themselves is a super visa which is a visit visa that would allow you to stay as a visitor for up to 2 years.

When they open up for parents sponsorship again, she can look into it. She would of course have to make enough money to support her own family as well as you, your spouse and your dependent children who would be sponsored along with you. She would be responsible for your family financially for 10 years. In case you go on welfare or disability, she would have to pay it back. She would not be able to sponsor your children who are already grown.

You could also look into immigrating yourself, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp If your daughter lives in Manitoba, you can gain a lot of points under their PNP skilled worker class for having a close relative who will help you settle. In SK you also gain from having a close relative but there you would need a job offer.

JA

Jan 11, 2011
Dear Leon,

Would you please confirm if my understanding is correct ?

Situation : My husband's PR will be expired coming early Sep. and he stayed only 3 months in Canada

1) He can apply for TD after PR card is expired to verify his PR status
2) He can apply for TD before PR card is expired to renounce it

If my understanding is correct, which is better for his future ? - namely ,in case I sponsor him

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
JA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JA said:
Dear Leon,

Would you please confirm if my understanding is correct ?

Situation : My husband's PR will be expired coming early Sep. and he stayed only 3 months in Canada

1) He can apply for TD after PR card is expired to verify his PR status
2) He can apply for TD before PR card is expired to renounce it

If my understanding is correct, which is better for his future ? - namely ,in case I sponsor him

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
JA
A TD is generally not intended for people whose PR card is still valid but I suppose he could write a cover letter stating his intentions to renounce his PR if that is what he wants to do. I do not think it matters for his future whether he waits until it is expired or not.