+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR under category DR

Dani94

Jan 22, 2024
Quick question I am a new PR un category DR dependent of refugee who resides in Canada and who have not been deemed to be a convention refugee in his/her own right

Can I travel back home with no problems since I’m not a refugee but a dependent of refugee

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Quick question I am a new PR un category DR dependent of refugee who resides in Canada and who have not been deemed to be a convention refugee in his/her own right

Can I travel back home with no problems since I’m not a refugee but a dependent of refugee
[/QUOTE

Yea you can return home. There is no guarantee that you will be able to return to Canada. Have you confirmed that you still have a valid TRV? Until you have PR leaving Canada is a risk since you are not guaranteed entry.

Dani94

Jan 22, 2024
thank you for trying to help but what are you saying is not correct since when you become permanent resident you no longer need a eta or trv, i am a permanent resident like i said

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you for trying to help but what are you saying is not correct since when you become permanent resident you no longer need a eta or trv, i am a permanent resident like i said
You are correct sorry missed the fact that you were a PR. No issue with going to your home country as long as you have your PR card or else travel to the US and enter via land border. You may receive pushback or comments about travel to your home country. It is legal but the optics are not great so you may end up going through additional screening or receive comments about the fact that you returned to your home country.