+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR travelling into Canada - Cash limit

gd

May 9, 2009
Hi experts,

Can you guys let me know if there is a maximum limit of CAD in cash for a valid PR holder currently residing outside Canada could bring in when he travel via airport.

The purpose of my visit is to enrol my son in a Canadian University. I intend carrying the university fees in cash as I do not hold a bank account in Canada currently. I don't want to bring in a bank draft and wait until the money is received in a Canadian Bank account (I am sure this takes approx a week) because I intend to travel just before the university opens for fall term and need to make the payment immediately upon arrival. I am hoping to bring approx 15K for all the expenses (university fees approx 10K, accomodation, food etc) as well as for opening a bank account for the use of my son.

Please confirm :
a) if this will be an issue with immigration officials at the airport,
b) Whether I have to declare that I am carrying this much money,
c) What documents I need to bring in to show them for proof of income or expenses with that money etc.

Regards

gd

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
There is no limit to the amount you can bring into Canada. If it is over $10,000, you must declare it. If you carry cash, you may be asked to show its source (did you get it painting houses, or running drugs? lol). If it is a bank draft, then the source is the bank, the bank will have done its own due diligence about the source, and there should not be any questions from Canada about the source.

alex123

Sep 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you are unable to get visa from there.They have tough policy for the people who come there on visit.I am sure you must show some evidence of his admission in the university of Canada.I am sure then you will get it.