+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Status

designflaw

Jun 5, 2012
Became PR in 2012. US Citizen now. Went to Canada several times either on US Green Card and later on US Passport. Once was stopped at airport and was told by officer that I did not meet RO so it would be best that when I get home, I renounce it. I never did. Since then, I got DL and Health Card with no problem. From what I can tell, my status is OK. Just have to go spend 2 years to get PR Card renewed but want to see if there is a way to check if my PR Status is OK.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Became PR in 2012. US Citizen now. Went to Canada several times either on US Green Card and later on US Passport. Once was stopped at airport and was told by officer that I did not meet RO so it would be best that when I get home, I renounce it. I never did. Since then, I got DL and Health Card with no problem. From what I can tell, my status is OK. Just have to go spend 2 years to get PR Card renewed but want to see if there is a way to check if my PR Status is OK.
Depends what you mean by 'OK'.

If your PR status has not been revoked, you are still a PR. It seems to be quite rare that PR status is revoked without the individuals knowing - hypothetically possible, but rare.

From your description, though, the CBSA officer did not start the process by issuing a report that you are inadmissible (they would have given it to you - 99% of the time anyway). The verbal 'please save me the paperwork by renouncing yourself' pretty much confirms that.

BUT: you are still out of compliance, and it is possible (even likely) that the officer put a note to your file ('flag') about your non-compliance. So it all depends on what happens when you cross a border.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is no way to check.

Reactions: designflaw