+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Status

doneen

Apr 7, 2015
Hi,
I am looking for some advise on my Canadian PR - any and all help greatly appreciated!!

I am an Irish citizen and moved to Canada in 2008. I was granted my PR in Canada in July 2010. I remained and worked in Canada until October 2012. My Canadian fiance and I then moved to Ireland where we are currently living. We have since had a baby and are getting married in July of this year and thinking about possibly moving back to Canada in 2016. My PR card is about to expire in July 2015.

From what I read on the CIC website it is not possible to renew my PR card while outside Canada. The fact that I am living with a Canadian citizen abroad and I resided in Canada for over 2 years after my PR was issued I believe I meet the residency criteria - is this the case?

If I cannot apply for a new PR card while living in Ireland and we do move back to Canada in 2016 what are my options?
- Do I have to go through a long process to get my PR card back?
- Is there anything I can do ahead of time so I can start working in Canada when I land?
- I presume the CIC will want proof that I was living in Ireland with a Canadian citizen - how do I go about this?

Thanks & Regards,
Don..

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
doneen said:
Hi,
I am looking for some advise on my Canadian PR - any and all help greatly appreciated!!

I am an Irish citizen and moved to Canada in 2008. I was granted my PR in Canada in July 2010. I remained and worked in Canada until October 2012. My Canadian fiance and I then moved to Ireland where we are currently living. We have since had a baby and are getting married in July of this year and thinking about possibly moving back to Canada in 2016. My PR card is about to expire in July 2015.

From what I read on the CIC website it is not possible to renew my PR card while outside Canada. The fact that I am living with a Canadian citizen abroad and I resided in Canada for over 2 years after my PR was issued I believe I meet the residency criteria - is this the case?

If I cannot apply for a new PR card while living in Ireland and we do move back to Canada in 2016 what are my options?
- Is there anything I can do ahead of time so I can start working in Canada when I land?
- I presume the CIC will want proof that I was living in Ireland with a Canadian citizen - how do I go about this?

Thanks & Regards,
Don..
You have lived in Canada after getting PR for 2 years which has earned you an entitlement of living 3 years outside Canada. You must return to Canada before that 3 years is completed and would have to remain in Canada for atleast 2 years again without interruption. If you fail to do this you will lose PR. Once you loose PR the only option is for your wife to sponsor you under family class or you apply on your own. Both will be like starting afresh. You may discuss with others to explore other options.

doneen

Apr 7, 2015
Hi SMCANADAVISA,
Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Can I ask does my time in Ireland with a Canadian citizen not count as time for my PR..She has been with my since we left in 2012..

Thanks & Regards,
Don..

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
doneen said:
Hi SMCANADAVISA,
Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Can I ask does my time in Ireland with a Canadian citizen not count as time for my PR..She has been with my since we left in 2012..

Thanks & Regards,
Don..
Yes Appendix A does support your argument and according to that your marriage license/common law partnership document to the Canadian citizen should support your situation. See link below
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
For PR card renewal you need to apply from canada and provide Canadian address for card delivery.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
doneen said:

Hi

Living with your Canadian partner abroad counts towards your PR Residency Obligation.

Once back in Canada, you can apply to renew your PR card in the normal way.

You have a SIN, you can work whenever you want.

Generally, joint lease, joint bank statements, mail at the same address in both names, flights showing you entered and left the country together.

doneen

Apr 7, 2015
Many thanks to everyone for all the information..
Great to know that I can come back to Canada and work with my SIN straightaway and then just renew my PR from there..

doneen

Apr 7, 2015
Hi All,
Another question..

Do I need to apply for a PR card before it expires (July 2015). I will not be back in Canada before it expires?
I do have a mailing address in Canada. What is my best option?

Thanks,
Don.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
doneen said:
Do I need to apply for a PR card before it expires (July 2015). I will not be back in Canada before it expires?
No, you don't need to apply before it expires. You can apply once you are back in Canada. There is always the possibility that they would ask you to pick up the card in person instead of mailing it out; I think the chances of that would be higher when CIC realizes you applied from outside Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
doneen said:
Hi All,
Another question..

Thanks,
Don.
The PR application must be mailed from a location in Canada, and a Canadian address must be given for CIC to communicate with. But technically you don't have to be in Canada when the app is submitted, so someone can do on your behalf. Since your residence history in the app will easily show CIC you are outside Canada, it's almost guaranteed they will ask you to pick up the card in person.

See here for more info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf
R56(2) states clearly that a PR card application must be made in Canada. Furthermore,
the card must be delivered in person to each applicant, pursuant to R58(3), and be
picked up within 180 days of the person receiving notification that it is ready for collection.
This enhances the integrity of the application process, allowing the local office to contact
the client to review documentation and assess residency issues in person. However, it is
recognized that the Regulations do not specify physical presence in Canada for purposes
of filing a PR card application. Applications cannot be refused solely on the basis of
evidence that the applicant was not in Canada when the application was filed. However,
applicants are expected to provide an address in Canada where they may be contacted
to provide additional information or to present themselves in person for the purposes of
reviewing either identification or eligibility for the PR card. The CPC may refer a case to a
local CIC if all or part of the application originated from outside Canada, and if there are
questions as to the client’s identity, status or residency history, or the authenticity of the
documentation. Clients must report in person to pick up their card in Canada, in
accordance with R58(3).