+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Status on Transfer to US

hamburgguy

Oct 14, 2013
My wife and her son have PR status. ( US citezans)
I was transferred to a job in the US before either were able to get citezanship.
My step son is fully handcapped and will always live with us.
I fully expect to stay employed in the US until I retire and then we will want to move back to Canada.
my family's PR status wil have run out by that time.

1. Is it possible to renew PR status outside the country?
2. Is it possible to reenter Canada with the out of date PR card ( we live within 1 hours drive of the border so there isa large amount of backa nd forth travel)
3. When I retire and we move back is it poossible to get a renewed PR card?

I really dont want to go through the process of getting them through the process of applying all over again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hamburgguy said:
I was transferred to a job in the US before either were able to get citezanship.
I fully expect to stay employed in the US until I retire and then we will want to move back to Canada.

2. Is it possible to reenter Canada with the out of date PR card ( we live within 1 hours drive of the border so there isa large amount of backa nd forth travel)

I really dont want to go through the process of getting them through the process of applying all over again.
1. No, you reside in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 or you lose it.
2. Possible, but it is also possible to be reported for not meeting PR requirements.
3. Unlikely.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamburgguy said:

You haven't stated but on the presumption you are a Canadian Citizen and are asking questions in respect of your wife and stepson then:

1. Yes but the application must 'originate' in Canada so mail the filled out form/s to someone in Canada e.g. friend/ family who will then forward onto CIC (I think this is pointless but its what the law says).

Application form must have your actual address in the US. You will have to pick up the PR Card in person. You must meet the Residence Obligation of 730 days of presence in Canada in the 5 years prior to application date (as per signature line on application). Days accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse or parent abroad count as days in Canada. Proof of relationship is required and so increasingly is proof of being together abroad e.g. leases, joint tax filing etc.

2. You don't need a valid PR Card to cross a land border. You can cross with COPR/IMM1000 and your US ppt.

3. Yes. As per 1 proof of relationship and accompanying required.

A challenge would usually be the age of a dependent child if they were over 22 yrs old - as your step son is handicapped he is exempt from ageing out but do include these details in the renewal forms.

If you are a PR not a citizen then the situation is different...your absence days don't count and you will lose PR if you breach the Residence Obligation.

Answers are based on the current Immigration Act and things will likely have changed by the time you retire depending on when this is. At some point in time the issue will be raised why PRs who are accompanying Canadian citizen spouses abroad should get a free pass on the residence obligation..its too much of a loophole and will have to be closed.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
hamburgguy said:

If you are a Canadian citizen, then your wife and stepson will not loose their PR. They are accompanying you and living with you outside of Canada, but the days still are valid for PR status, however, not for citizenship. You will have to apply for their PR cards using one of the methods Msafiri mentioned to continue updating them as necessary, unless you still have a home you maintain in Canada, in which case you can mail/receive the cards there and drive to pick them up if you are within an hours drive.

It appeared you were primarily worried on whether or not they would loose their PR status for not being inside of Canada and the answer is, no, they won't if you are a Canadian citizen.