Med's Done....
23-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
16-06-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
I have a very basic question - to maintain PR status, we need to be in Canada for 2 years in 5 years. From which date is this calculated - from date of issue (which is not mentioned on PR card), date of landing or expiry date minus 5 years ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
grouvvy said:
I have a very basic question - to maintain PR status, we need to be in Canada for 2 years in 5 years. From which date is this calculated - from date of issue (which is not mentioned on PR card), date of landing or expiry date minus 5 years ?
You need to meet the RO for your first 5 years as a PR and after that in any rolling 5 year period. When you enter Canada or apply to renew your PR card, they can examine if you meet these requirements.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
grouvvy said:
Your date of landing is the reference point for your first RO obligation window classed as the 5th year anniversary from your date of landing (where a PR for less than 5 years). Where a PR for more than 5 years then the RO window is the 5 year period prior to the 'examination' = POE admission, PRTD application, sponsorship, PR Card renewal. This means that your RO window is 'rolling' where each new day means you lose a day at the start of the window - most PRs playing the RO roulette seem to not understand this with confusion/ encouragement compounded by reference to PR Card expiry dates.

crewbunk

Star Member
May 6, 2014
Msafiri said:
Your date of landing is the reference point for your first RO obligation window classed as the 5th year anniversary from your date of landing (where a PR for less than 5 years). Where a PR for more than 5 years then the RO window is the 5 year period prior to the 'examination' = POE admission, PRTD application, sponsorship, PR Card renewal. This means that your RO window is 'rolling' where each new day means you lose a day at the start of the window - most PRs playing the RO roulette seem to not understand this with confusion/ encouragement compounded by reference to PR Card expiry dates.
if i want to delay my date of entry to Canada as late as possible, does that mean I should delay my landing date till almost the last month before medical expired (I heard the landing date is within 1 year from medical exam), so that I can stay longer in my home country before move to Canada?

thanks for your answering.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
crewbunk said:
if i want to delay my date of entry to Canada as late as possible, does that mean I should delay my landing date till almost the last month before medical expired (I heard the landing date is within 1 year from medical exam), so that I can stay longer in my home country before move to Canada?

You can delay until the expiry date of your COPR. However, if something delays you and you miss this date, it's "Game Over" and you will have to reapply again from the beginning.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
You can delay until the expiry date of your COPR. However, if something delays you and you miss this date, it's "Game Over" and you will have to reapply again from the beginning.
Can't recall where but a PR traveled to Canada on the last day of their COPR validity...bad weather at the transit airport derailed his onward travel as the airport was closed for a couple of days. He had to re-apply from scratch. With new quotas and rules getting more stringent I would never leave landing to the last few days!

MYK

Oct 17, 2014
Can I return to Canada after more than 4 years of absence, if my PR card still valid till the end of 2015?
Thank you

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
crewbunk said:

Get the exact date of your Visa expiry, I suggest play safe otherwise you have to do everything all over again, choice is yours.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MYK said:
Can I return to Canada after more than 4 years of absence, if my PR card still valid till the end of 2015?
Thank you
You can, but you will run the significant risk of being reported for failing to meet the residency obligation requirements and eventually losing your PR status.