+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renwal Question

keith6661

Oct 14, 2016
Im an American living in NC and I tried to move back to Canada a few months ago but I failed on miserably. I had a very young and naive mindset. I figured Id just stay in the states but I was wondering if I tried again would I meet the obligations? In the past 5 years Ive still spent more time in Canada and I even still have my social insurance card. The only argument is that my PR card expires in May and Im not sure if Id be ready by then. Plus my health card is expired but Im not sure if that is a major issue. Even though my card expires soon would Canada still be possible?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
keith6661 said:
Im an American living in NC and I tried to move back to Canada a few months ago but I failed on miserably. I had a very young and naive mindset. I figured Id just stay in the states but I was wondering if I tried again would I meet the obligations? In the past 5 years Ive still spent more time in Canada and I even still have my social insurance card. The only argument is that my PR card expires in May and Im not sure if Id be ready by then. Plus my health card is expired but Im not sure if that is a major issue. Even though my card expires soon would Canada still be possible?
In past 5 years, did you meet your residency obligations like spending 730 days inside Canada out of 5 years?
Why didn't you move to Canada? Any specific reason? Any issues on the border?

keith6661

Oct 14, 2016
I was in high school up until 2015 summer so I still definitely meet RO. The only reason I didnt move back was the place I tried to rent was a scam. Other than that Ive never had any issues at the border or with security getting into Canada. I believe Id be ok its just that my PR card expires in May and I wouldnt move back until Summer

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
keith6661 said:
I was in high school up until 2015 summer so I still definitely meet RO. The only reason I didnt move back was the place I tried to rent was a scam. Other than that Ive never had any issues at the border or with security getting into Canada. I believe Id be ok its just that my PR card expires in May and I wouldnt move back until Summer
You have to spent 730 days out of 5 years. Calculate if you have spent 730 days in past 5 years from the date when you would be returning and if you indeed meet the RO, then I think you may not face any issues. I think you can board the flight using your US passport and once you reach customs, show your landind document and US passport. If you are travelling by land, just show your landing document and US passport.
Once you are in Canada, apply for renewal of PR card.

Someone with the similar experience in this forum can shed more light onto it.