+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal

PSal

May 18, 2014
Hi

I would like to know how long before expiry of my PR Card, I can apply for renewing it. I've got admission to a university abroad to continue my education at PhD level and PR Card expires in 10 months; but I have to leave in 3 months from now. I'm not sure if I can return before the expiration date. Can I apply now or there is a certain period before expiry date?

I would appreciate if someone could help.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PSal said:
Hi

I would like to know how long before expiry of my PR Card, I can apply for renewing it. I've got admission to a university abroad to continue my education at PhD level and PR Card expires in 10 months; but I have to leave in 3 months from now. I'm not sure if I can return before the expiration date. Can I apply now or there is a certain period before expiry date?

I would appreciate if someone could help.

Thanks.
You can apply 6 months before expiry.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PSal said:
You can apply no earlier than 6 months before expiry.

However, keep in mind that you have to continue to meet the RO (residency obligation) of 730 days in Canada in any 5 year period. Hence if you are outside Canada for more than 1094 days in a 5 year period, you are risking your PR, regardless of having renewed your PR card before leaving.

The only exceptions to the RO are if:

* you are accompanying a Canadian spouse (or they are accompanying you),

or

* your Canadian employer transferred you to a full time position outside Canada (which does not seem to be the case for you,

or

* your spouse is a PR whose Canadian employer transferred them to a full time position outside Canada and you are accompanying your spouse.

PSal

May 18, 2014
Thanks so much Leon and PMM.

I have already met the residency days and that's why I'm starting my studies now. My only concern is the expiration date of PR card which you guys mentioned it should be not earlier than 6 months before expiry.

If I could postpone the start date of my studies to 3 months later, I hope they accept my application for urgent processing.

Thanks all.