+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal without meeting residency obligations

hal_jordan

Jul 21, 2014
Hi there, sorry for my numerous questions, and sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

I am in a family of 4 all holding valid PR cards. I am a minor who lives in Canada. My sister is an adult who lives in Canada but my parents do not live in Canada. They only visit occasionally on business trips. They mainly work in the Gulf due to their preexisting clients. They will most likely not meet the 730 days criteria.
But, my parents own a registered Canadian company in Toronto and a house whose mortgage they are currently paying. They pay income taxes on the house and pay taxes for the company.
Will they be able to renew their PR card after 5 years without meeting the residency obligations?

Thanks for everything,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - they won't be able to renew their PR cards.

They need to actually meet the residency obligation and live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years if they want to be able to keep and renew their PR status.

If it was that easy to keep PR status while living outside of Canada - everyone would do it. They need to actually live here.

hal_jordan

Jul 21, 2014
Thank you so much for the quick reply. If you had the time, I had 3 other small questions.

1. If my mother were to get her PR renewed would she then be able to sponsor my father and get his PR renewed?

2. If my sister were to get her citizenship would she then be able to sponsor my parents?

3. I live with my adult sister and without my parents, would I be able to get my citizenship before my parents but after my sister

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. If your mother meets the residency obligation then she can certainly sponsor your father if he loses his. This won't allow him to "renew" his PR status. Instead, he will be applying for PR again from scratch by being sponsored by your mother through family class. If your mother is still a PR (rather than a citizen), she will have to live in Canada for the entire time the application is being processed. Occasional short trips outside of Canada will be fine while the application is being processed. But too many trips or trips that are too long will result in the application being refused.
2. She can sponsor them as a PR provided she meets the income requirements. Note that there is a cap on the number of applications that are accepted each year and the spaces fill up extremely quickly. Also, you should expect long processing times (more than 3 years).
3. You can apply for citizenship on your own as soon as you meet the citizenship residency requirement (this is different than the PR residency requirement).

hal_jordan

Jul 21, 2014
THANK YOU THANK YOU
you have answered everything
You are a god among humans, a sliver of light in an infinite expanse of darkness.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart and wish you a happy and content existence.
Yours,
hal_jordan

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Hey Scylla,

Do you realize you just got the best of thanks from the Green Lantern!!! 8)

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
hal_jordan said:
THANK YOU THANK YOU
you have answered everything
You are a god among humans, a sliver of light in an infinite expanse of darkness.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart and wish you a happy and content existence.
Yours,
hal_jordan
hal_jordon,

I agree with you. Scylla is so helpful. Although it may not repay her goodness, yet I would ask you to click on "Good" under her name on the left side.