+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - Time Spent Outside Canada

saravanan_B

Jun 18, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I have to renew my PR card soon. I have a question regarding completing Time Spent Outside Canada (Residency Obligation - 5.2) section.

During my previous job at a Canadian engineering company, I had to travel to the US a few times to meet with my employer's clients. I was employed full-time at the company and I was paid in CAD.

Do I still need to submit the proof for Employment Outside Canada even if I meet the 730 day residency requirement. The asterisk in section 5.2 simply says "Please include proof of full time Canadian Employment as a supporting document". But the guide seems to imply that I only need to submit the documents if I am trying to count the days spent outside Canada towards meeting the residency obligation.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I have to renew my PR card soon. I have a question regarding completing Time Spent Outside Canada (Residency Obligation - 5.2) section.

During my previous job at a Canadian engineering company, I had to travel to the US a few times to meet with my employer's clients. I was employed full-time at the company and I was paid in CAD.

Do I still need to submit the proof for Employment Outside Canada even if I meet the 730 day residency requirement. The asterisk in section 5.2 simply says "Please include proof of full time Canadian Employment as a supporting document". But the guide seems to imply that I only need to submit the documents if I am trying to count the days spent outside Canada towards meeting the residency obligation.
Your understanding of the guide appears to be accurate, to be consistent with what is needed to be included with a PR card application.

In particular . . .

If you are currently settled and living IN Canada, and have clearly been here more than 730 days during the last five years, all you need to include with the PR card application is the basic evidence described in the guide appendix: copies of two pieces of evidence showing residency in Canada, which should be very easy to do.

In contrast, if the total time spent outside Canada is 1095 or more days, the PR card applicant should also include proof to qualify for credit for days outside Canada under situations "A," "B," or "C," as applicable.

Note, while the PR only needs, to make a complete application, to provide the two items showing residency if after completing the chart for time outside Canada, in question 5.5, for "Total time spent outside Canada:" the application form has calculated a number less than 1095. Depending on the particular facts and circumstances, in processing the application IRCC can request more supporting information and documents, more "proof," if there are any concerns or questions regarding the PR's RO compliance.

Reactions: saravanan_B

saravanan_B

Jun 18, 2014
Your understanding of the guide appears to be accurate, to be consistent with what is needed to be included with a PR card application.

In particular . . .

If you are currently settled and living IN Canada, and have clearly been here more than 730 days during the last five years, all you need to include with the PR card application is the basic evidence described in the guide appendix: copies of two pieces of evidence showing residency in Canada, which should be very easy to do.

In contrast, if the total time spent outside Canada is 1095 or more days, the PR card applicant should also include proof to qualify for credit for days outside Canada under situations "A," "B," or "C," as applicable.

Note, while the PR only needs, to make a complete application, to provide the two items showing residency if after completing the chart for time outside Canada, in question 5.5, for "Total time spent outside Canada:" the application form has calculated a number less than 1095. Depending on the particular facts and circumstances, in processing the application IRCC can request more supporting information and documents, more "proof," if there are any concerns or questions regarding the PR's RO compliance.
@dpenabill, Thanks for the clarification. I have also been reading your posts on similar topics.
I am not going to claim the days I spent travelling outside Canada for work. I am going to categorize it as OTHER under section 5.5.
I plan on submitting the NOA from the last 5 years and my paystubs from last three years as evidence of residence.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@dpenabill, Thanks for the clarification. I have also been reading your posts on similar topics.
I am not going to claim the days I spent travelling outside Canada for work. I am going to categorize it as OTHER under section 5.5.
I plan on submitting the NOA from the last 5 years and my paystubs from last three years as evidence of residence.
I believe by the instructions and experience you only need to submit eg a couple of NOA and/or a couple of paystubs.

You definitely do NOT need to submit all of the NOAs and all of your paystubs - and you should not, as too much paperwork and volume and more likely they will put off wading through the poolfull of documents.

Reactions: dpenabill