+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal supporting documents

sm99

Jul 22, 2020
Hi All,

I am just wondering if one has to provide the following supporting documents while applying for PR renewal to prove their time in Canda? I have read through the application package and it doesn't look like these supporting documents are needed but I am applying with 770 days of RO and want to ensure that my application is complete and if these documents can corroborate my time in Canada then I will include them but at the same time I do not want to send unnecessary additional documents which are not required by CIC to make a decision on my PR card renewal.
  • Passport pages copy (entry/exit stamps)
  • Pay stubs
  • Letter from employer
  • Bank statements
  • CBSA report
  • Utility bills
  • Tenancy ledger or lease
Thanks,
SM99

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi All,

I am just wondering if one has to provide the following supporting documents while applying for PR renewal to prove their time in Canda? I have read through the application package and it doesn't look like these supporting documents are needed but I am applying with 770 days of RO and want to ensure that my application is complete and if these documents can corroborate my time in Canada then I will include them but at the same time I do not want to send unnecessary additional documents which are not required by CIC to make a decision on my PR card renewal.
  • Pay stubs
  • Letter from employer
  • Bank statements
  • CBSA report
  • Utility bills
Thanks,
SM99
As you have discerned, the PR card application instructions and checklist do not ask for these things. As it appears you understand, better to send what is asked and not include documents that are not requested.

As long as you are IN Canada, and your accounting of days IN Canada is accurate (with minimal mistakes, but when cutting-it-close like this, best to make sure there are no mistakes), there is little risk of a referral to the local office for a more formal Residency Obligation compliance examination. BUT that is possible. In which event you could receive RQ-related requests which could ask for such documents . . . except CBSA history, as they can get that directly . . . more likely to request the PR provide record of movement reports, or similar, from other countries, and those with ties or work or residency history in the U.S. appear to get requests for U.S. entry-history-records (even though they should be able to get these directly as well, unless the PR is a U.S. citizen).

There have also been some, fairly isolated reports, of PR card applicants getting such requests from the CPC (without a referral to the local office).

The bigger risk you face when cutting-it-close like this is a referral to Secondary Review, which could delay getting a new PR card for as much as a YEAR.

There is very little evidence that sending extra documents with the application will change how that goes . . . that is, whether there is non-routine RQ related procedures, or whether there is a referral to SR.

It would be total speculation to try forecasting the risks any more precisely than this . . . except, some of the context in anecdotal reporting suggests that the more it appears the PR is now, and has been for awhile, well-established PERMANENTLY IN Canada, the lower the risks of non-routine processing and, perhaps, the shorter the delays even if there is non-routine processing. My sense is that employment history probably looms large in this, if indeed it is true that the appearance of being settled PERMANENTLY is a factor saving some some of those cutting-it-close from SR or other non-routine processing delays.

Should not need emphasizing but to be clear, for any PR who is cutting-it-close like this, the significance of remaining IN Canada, except for brief trips abroad, obviously looms large.

Marib123

Sep 6, 2022
Hi All,

• Pay stubs
  • Letter from employer
  • Bank statements
  • CBSA report
  • Utility bills
Thanks,
SM99
Hi Did you get Your PR card? What documents you sent, can you guide me?