+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Options

herculepirate

May 4, 2015
We achieved our PR status when we landed in Canada on June 2015. And completing our landing we returned to our jobs. We decided to move in permanently to Canada a year later on Aug 2016.

We are now settled and bought a house and plan to be Canadians.

The oilfield situation being bad I have had to find a job outside Canada. Family continues to live in Canada.

I would like to know my PR Renewal Options for myself and family. I may not be able to complete the required 3 out of 5 years to renew my application but family could possibly be eligible for renewal or citizenship.
Since I was the main applicant, can my wife turn to be main applicant and add me as a dependent and renew the PR.

What options do I have for renewing my PR card at the end my PR.

Thank you

HP

herculepirate

May 4, 2015
I am also not sure what the criteria is to extend PR status.
Is it 3 years out of 5 years.
Or 780+ days out of 5 years.
criteria for citizenship???

In any case, I would like to hear my options to extend my PR

Thanks HP

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
It is 730 days out of 5 years. for citizen ship 4 out of 6 years.

After landing everyone is individually permanent residents and have to fulfil permanent residency obligations .If you can comeback atleast 1 yr before your pr expiry and stay here continuosly until you finish 2 years you can renew your pr.

while you work out of canada try some career in canada also.

herculepirate

May 4, 2015
Thanks

If I am not able to fulfill the residency requirements can my spouse turn to be main applicant and add me as dependent.
As per your email, it reads as if each person's application is individually assessed for renewal.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
no one is dependent of other once landed as permanent resident. you have still time dont worry try to be here long before your pr expiry so you wont be reported

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Worst case scenario, if you don't meet RO, and if your wife does meet RO she can always sponsor you for a PR if yours is revoked or you renounce it, as long as she is in Canada. That's absolute worst case.

herculepirate

May 4, 2015
Thank you. I am hoping that I have this correct.

The earlier reply stated that no one is dependent at the time of renewal and each application is individually assessed.
If I am not eligible for extension, my wife could reapply as main applicant and add me as a dependent.

Thanks

HP

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Yes, if you actually lost your PR, she can always sponsor you again, provided she meets the RO. It wouldn't be a renewal, it would be a new application for you with her as the sponsor. That's absolutely worst case. You would either have to be reported for RO and exhaust the appeals or renounce your PR yourself (if you intend to live here and your work overseas is a stop gap, renouncing is the absolute last thing you want to consider IMHO) before it got to that. It 730 days in the previous 5 years, so you still have time. If you can get a job with rotation overseas, that would be optimal (and let me know if they are hiring 8) ) and you could spend time on off days in Canada.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
herculepirate said:
Thank you. I am hoping that I have this correct.

The earlier reply stated that no one is dependent at the time of renewal and each application is individually assessed.
If I am not eligible for extension, my wife could reapply as main applicant and add me as a dependent.

Thanks

HP
every one has to fulfil their residency obligations, If my spouse is not maintaining her status then she may lose status not me.

There is no main applicant or dependent for renewal of pr card once it is expired
Again until you revoke your pr status no one can sponsor you. But as previously said its a worst case scenario

Heathcliff77

May 2, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa VO
Doc's Request.
13-01-2017
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
To maintain the PR status you need to stay at least 2 out of 5 years.. who says it's 3?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
herculepirate said:
We achieved our PR status when we landed in Canada on June 2015. And completing our landing we returned to our jobs. We decided to move in permanently to Canada a year later on Aug 2016.

We are now settled and bought a house and plan to be Canadians.

The oilfield situation being bad I have had to find a job outside Canada. Family continues to live in Canada.

I would like to know my PR Renewal Options for myself and family. I may not be able to complete the required 3 out of 5 years to renew my application but family could possibly be eligible for renewal or citizenship.
Since I was the main applicant, can my wife turn to be main applicant and add me as a dependent and renew the PR.

What options do I have for renewing my PR card at the end my PR.

Thank you

HP
In order to meet your RO (residency obligation) for your PR, you should not be outside Canada for more than 1094 days in the 5 years after you landed. If you return to Canada before you reach 1095 days outside and stay in order to be able to renew your PR card, you would be fine.

However, if you go over the limit and can't meet the RO, there are some possible scenarios. You might be able to return to Canada with a still valid PR card without getting caught. If you do, you should not apply to renew your PR card until you meet the RO again which could mean waiting 2 years before you can apply. That is not breaking any law. You are still officially PR until it's revoked. If you do get caught on entry and they report you for not meeting the RO, you can appeal but not finding a job is not considered a good reason so you would almost certainly lose your appeal and lose your PR in case your wife can sponsor you. Or you get caught on entry and simply renounce your PR and let your wife sponsor you right away. Or you are still outside Canada when your PR card expires, you were never caught but you can't apply to renew so in that case, you can renounce and let your wife sponsor you.

After landing as PR's, there is no longer a main applicant. You are a PR and your wife is a PR, independent of each other. Even if you lose your PR, she keeps her as long as she meets the RO. She is then a PR with a spouse who is not a PR and she has the right to sponsor you.

If she qualifies to apply for citizenship, right now 4/6 years but will be 3/5 years in the near future, she can apply and your kids can apply but you can't because you haven't been staying in Canada. Your not staying in Canada has no effect on their applications.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
Leon,

I have a question here ,If he doesnt comeback in near future and his wife eventualy becomes citizen ,then she goes back to his place stays with him ,Does staying with a canadian citizen count his days towards RO and eventually he can also become a citizen with out even visiting canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramkris said:
Leon,

I have a question here ,If he doesnt comeback in near future and his wife eventualy becomes citizen ,then she goes back to his place stays with him ,Does staying with a canadian citizen count his days towards RO and eventually he can also become a citizen with out even visiting canada
Staying with a citizen spouse will be counted towards the PR requirements as long as he did not already lose his PR status. If he continues to visit his family as long as his PR card is valid, odds are that at some point when he can no longer meet the RO, he will be reported and at that point it's too late to save his PR because that ball will start rolling to revoke. Even if he doesn't get reported, once his PR card is expired, he would not be able to visit his family anymore because arriving at the US border with an expired PR card would risk his PR and applying for a PR travel document he would have to admit that he doesn't meet the RO so if he does that, he might as well renounce his PR.

If he never gets reported for not meeting the RO and he still has his PR status but does not meet the RO, PR card still valid or expired, doesn't matter and at that point, his wife gets citizenship and moves to him and stays with him for 2 years, he would meet the RO again and could apply for a PR travel document, return to Canada and renew his PR card.

However, as not to upset the lives of his wife and children who will have their home in Canada and his children will be going to school in Canada, it would be a lot simpler for his wife to simply sponsor him for a new PR.

He can not qualify for citizenship staying outside Canada unless his wife gets a job working for the Canadian govt. or military and is posted to a position outside Canada and he joins her there. Only then his days with his wife will count towards citizenship.