+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal - Don't have old passport.

dutra

Dec 13, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I have to renew my PR card that expires in May of 2015. The problem is that I renewed my Passport December 2012, and the entity that issued my new passport kept the old passport. So I don't have my old passport.
How can i show my last 5 years where about?

Thanks in advance.

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
As far as I know your old passport is very important not only for PR Renewal but also to apply for citizenship as one has to provide copies of all pages of a passport that you have held since you became PR. If you have copies of the old passport that might be OK for now, otherwise you might have to write an explanation letter along with your application and may have to provide an official reference to your claim that an authority has kept passport.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dutra said:
Hello Everyone,

I have to renew my PR card that expires in May of 2015. The problem is that I renewed my Passport December 2012, and the entity that issued my new passport kept the old passport. So I don't have my old passport.
How can i show my last 5 years where about?

Thanks in advance.
For PR Card renewal you only need to prove at least 730 days in the 5 year examination period. Is/will this 730 days be covered by the expired passport or you are you now living in Canada and will have 730 days with the new passport?

If CIC are not convinced with the declared absences due to the lack of the expired passport expect an RQ requiring you to submit proof of active physical presence in Canada. At best is full time employment (circa 40 hrs/week) with a bonafide well know Canadian employer in a type of job that requires your actual physical presence (aka the bus driver test). You best be paid by direct deposit with pay stubs and tax/EI deductions with T4s issued and you have filed taxes with NOAs received. Other active proof includes a record of billing from your Provincial Health provider eg OHIP in Ontario detailing billed use of the health services you undertook e.g. doctor visits.