+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal: Changing Normal Processing to Urgent

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I applied for PR Renewal in July 2014. We are planning to travel in October this year. I'm not sure if the processing would be completed by this time. Is it possible if I can change the status of my application from Normal to Urgent, if I send them the Itinerary and the payment receipt of my travel.

Any experience or comment will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

superfellow

Star Member
Jun 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The same as u, I have faxed the documents required to CIC 4 days before , but I haven't got any response although they mention they will reply by email in 2 business days.

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Hi SuperFellow,

Any update on your application. Were they able to expedite it for you.

Thanks.

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maybe because they have been sleeping all summer, i applied late may and they haven't opened the file so far, i think they can only expedite it once the file is entered into the system... waiting time keeps increasing while they move at the speed of turtles...

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Well I had a discussion with CIC Call Centre agent and they advised me to send an urgent processing email request. However the request was declined by CIC 2 days later, the reason they mentioned was that the only time they can expedite an application is if it is in-Process with CIC. If the envelope hasn't been opened up yet, they cannot expedite the application. Furthermore, if I want expedited service, I need to resend the application with Urgent mentioned on the Envelope with proof of travel and proof of payment for the travel.

I might send them the urgent package to try my luck, in worst circumstances I can use Land border to enter into Canada using Landing Papers.

raojee

May 15, 2012
Hi

I applied for renewal of my PR Card on June 16, 2014, but till 6 September 2014, not appearing in the system. I have to travel outside Canada next month.

Can someone suggest that what should I do? Re apply on urgent basis or wait more?
How much time it take normally to appear case on system? it is already completing almost three months.

cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no point reapplying. If you don't get your new PR card in time, you will have to apply for a travel document once you are outside of Canada.

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Hi Guys,

I thought I'll update this forum with the latest on the PR Renewal Urgent application sent to CIC.

My urgent application was received by CIC on Sept.05.2014 and when I called them on Sept.12.2014, the Call centre agent informed me that the Cards have been mailed to us already. The actual processing time was just 4 days. My E-CAS is showing "Complete" as a status.

I should be receiving the cards this week in mail.

Thanks.

Herrmann115

Sep 20, 2014
Hi S_J,
I have been following this matter as my mother is in the same boat. She applied for her renewed PR card on August 4th, thinking that this falls under the 6 week processing time but found out, a little late, that the processing for the renewal is 155 days. She need to travel on October 1, 2014. I filled out the Urgent Application today and emailed it as they describe on their site. If Understand your last post, could it be possible that we will see her card before October 1st? Kind of a heartbreaking situation and all due to a weird situation where it takes longer for a renewal than the initial PR card. Also, I keep seeing that one can apply for Permanent Resident Travel Documentation when they arrive at the destination. Where would one do that and can it be attained within 10 days (The amount of time my mother will be in that country)? Sorry, just reaching out wherever I can. Thanks in advance.

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Hi Hermann15,

It is a pretty close call for the urgent processing request for PR Card. If you look at CIC's website you would notice that they normally require minimum of 30 days to process a request. I consider myself very lucky that they processed the application within 2 weeks and I received PR card(s) last week in mail.

To apply and receive Travel documentation depends on each country's processing time. Please visit the website of embassy of Canada in the country where you are planning to visit and see how long do they take to process the Travel Document application that will give you a good idea whether it is worth taking the risk or not.