+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal application by post processing time

Mekalie

Jul 28, 2023
Hello,
As well as a PRTD I initiated my PR card renewal by post to Sydney NS before exiting Canada.
June 26 - posted
August 9 - I hear they have received application and have begun processing
To date - no card
Have involved my local MP with help from my husband - they have said check back in another 6 weeks
What else can be done?
I am aware of flying to the US, my flight plus my 2 children’s is not a feasible option as we already have thousands of dollars worth of flight tickets with Air Canada being held for us once I am approved.
I am nervous of this option also as I am unsure if I will be stopped or questioned and detained in the US. Has someone got firsthand experience with this and can advise me legally I am allowed to enter on a one way ticket with my children to meet my husband to cross the border in our family car? What exactly will they ask for at the airport and at the border?
Thank you!

eccv

Star Member
Sep 9, 2023
It really depends on the immigration officer you encounter. Having said that as long as you are truthful about the intention to enter Canada, there is not much to worry about.

Just prepared to explain that your situation (having to make a detour due to expired PR card; and airlines won't let you board with an expired card, but the land border the CBSA agents will be able to confirm and let you in.)