+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Processing times, best options?

Daan

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hi there,

In short: I came here from The Netherlands on a temporary work permit in March 2008. My work permit is tied to my current employer and is valid until November 30, 2009.

I've been here for 2 years total now (started doing a school research project at a company here in March 2007 and accepted a job offer from the same company) and am sure I want to stay and settle here. Therefore I'd like to go ahead and apply for PR. I'd like to know what the fastest way is to attain PR:

1. Through BC PNP. My current employer is willing to help me with this in about a month's time.
2. Apply for a Skilled Worker PR now.

I'm working as a Software Products Developer, which is officially not on the 38 jobs list, but what I do is pretty close to "0213: Computer and Information Systems Managers", so I might be able to apply with that job description.

Which of the two options is quicker and what are their respective processing times? I can see that the processing time for PR applications through Buffalo are from 16 months and up, but is this different from FSW category 1 applications? Or am I missing any options for attaining PR status?

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The FSW processing times on the CIC websites are for the old rules. Nobody knows how long the new rules take yet, they are supposed to be faster. I have no idea how fast BC PNP is right now. You do not have to be on the list of 38 to apply as a skilled worker since you fall under the classification or having worked in Canada for 12 months or more before you apply.

italki

Star Member
Feb 23, 2009
Leon said:
The FSW processing times on the CIC websites are for the old rules. Nobody knows how long the new rules take yet, they are supposed to be faster. I have no idea how fast BC PNP is right now. You do not have to be on the list of 38 to apply as a skilled worker since you fall under the classification or having worked in Canada for 12 months or more before you apply.
Can you tell me more about this category you just mentioned of working in canada 12 months or more?
does that mean that if i come to canada with working holiday visa for 2 years and then after that i apply for PR i have more chances?

Daan

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Leon said:
You do not have to be on the list of 38 to apply as a skilled worker since you fall under the classification or having worked in Canada for 12 months or more before you apply.
But wouldn't my application be processed quicker if I apply under Category 1, instead of 2 or 3?
Thanks for your help so far!

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Applications made by applicants who have resided legally in Canada for at least one year
as a temporary foreign worker or an international student and who are still residing legally
in Canada are to be submitted to the visa office in Buffalo, or the visa office serving their country
of nationality.

This I got from OP6.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Daan said:
Leon said:
You do not have to be on the list of 38 to apply as a skilled worker since you fall under the classification or having worked in Canada for 12 months or more before you apply.
But wouldn't my application be processed quicker if I apply under Category 1, instead of 2 or 3?
Thanks for your help so far!
Well category 2 and 3 don't have the extra part of the process that involves checking for ministerial list upfront and some people say that even after the application reaches buffalo, those with Canadian experience and AEO gets PR faster (don't know if that is necessarily true but its not slower).

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
rupeshhari said:
Applications made by applicants who have resided legally in Canada for at least one year
as a temporary foreign worker or an international student and who are still residing legally
in Canada are to be submitted to the visa office in Buffalo, or the visa office serving their country
of nationality.

This I got from OP6.

Note: Eligibility as a temporary foreign worker or student is not limited to holders of work or study
permits. Applicants can meet the above eligibility requirement simply with evidence that their
authorized period of stay has been at least one year, that throughout this period they have been
temporary foreign workers or international students, and that they are still in Canada. Evidence of
their authorized stay may include: an entry stamp in their passport, a temporary resident record, a
work permit, or a study permit. Evidence of being a temporary foreign worker or international student
may include: letters from employers or schools, records of pay, attendance, report cards, transcripts,
etc. Evidence of being in Canada may include a residential address and correspondence sent to that
address. These examples of evidence are neither exhaustive nor exclusive.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's here, category 3, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

Applying as a skilled worker

Applications for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Class can be submitted by foreign nationals who are skilled workers and professionals.

There are three categories under the Federal Skilled Worker Class:

* Category 1: For persons in an occupation which corresponds to the list of occupations identified in the Ministerial Instructions and have evidence of one year of continuous full-time (or full-time equivalent) experience in that occupation;
* Category 2: For persons who have arranged employment offer with a Canadian employer; or
* Category 3: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.
If somebody was on a working holiday, work permit or student visa in Canada for 12 months or more, they would qualify to apply as a skilled worker under category 3 without having a job offer or being on the list of 38, as far as I can see anyway.

shine668

Mar 5, 2009
Leon said:
It's here, category 3, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

Applying as a skilled worker

Applications for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Class can be submitted by foreign nationals who are skilled workers and professionals.

There are three categories under the Federal Skilled Worker Class:

* Category 1: For persons in an occupation which corresponds to the list of occupations identified in the Ministerial Instructions and have evidence of one year of continuous full-time (or full-time equivalent) experience in that occupation;
* Category 2: For persons who have arranged employment offer with a Canadian employer; or
* Category 3: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.
If somebody was on a working holiday, work permit or student visa in Canada for 12 months or more, they would qualify to apply as a skilled worker under category 3 without having a job offer or being on the list of 38, as far as I can see anyway.
Yes, it is the right understanding.
I have consulted a immigration expert and he confirmed this.

Daan

Jan 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So I'm thinking I will have no problems applying for PR through either of the FSW or PNP programs. The only thing I need to know then is: which one is faster?

As I said, my current work permit expires in about 9 months (Nov 30, 2009) and I'm thinking I would need to have something in place before then, in the form of either a new work permit or PR status.

And what if I get laid off in the time after I've applied for FSW PR, but do not have a result yet? Will I be able to get a new temporary work permit so that I can at least work and earn a living while waiting for a result?

Thanks again!

Friends

Oct 23, 2013
Dear Friends

I am new to the forum and want to have your valuable advice for my real concern.
I have landed Calgary in last week of June 2013 and returned back to my home country within 35 days without receiving PR card. I have received my SIN and health card on same Calgary mail box (relative address) whereas PR card still awaited. Its almost four months passed...
By exploring cic website, following options are available:

If you live inside Canada and if it has been longer than the time shown above since you applied, please contact the Call Centre. (1-888-242 2100)

Or

mail/fax pdf document (IMM 5451) SOLEMN DECLARATION CONCERNING A PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD THAT WAS LOST, STOLEN, DESTROYED OR NEVER RECEIVED

Your guidance is requested in order to take what further actions required or still have to wait silently.

Anxiously waiting for your response and thanking you in advance.

Regards