+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR (Pending LANDING): Canada Citizenship & Indian (DUAL): Possible?

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
Hey Folks,

We live in LA & i am on h1b visa. We have received the Immigrant Stamp along with COPR in our passports and the last step of Landing is required to obtain our PR.

Please answer the following questions:

1. If we fly in to Vancouver on a Saturday, i am assuming that all necessary paperwork will be completed by Canada Border Patrol Customs Agent at POE itself.

2. Is it a good idea to visit Field Office or SIN office in Canada on Monday to get SIN for myself and spouse? Please note that we do not intend to settle or live in canada at this moment, but want to check on that will taking a SIN right now will have some benefits compared to obtaining the same let's say in 2018....when we do plan to live in CAN.

The answer to this question will help us in deciding if we should fly in to CAN on a weekday or weekend.

3. Since the minimum requirement depending on the province to obtain a healthcarD is 3 months, i think we cannot apply for that at the moment.

4. Once someone has lived/worked in CAN for 3 years and do NOT get any RQ, i am assuming that he/she applies for CAN citizenship after 3 years and then it takes ANOTHER 1 year to get CAN Citizenship.

4a) At that time, do we have to SURRENDER indian PP? Can we have DUAL citizenship?
4b) Suppose, you are returning back to US as you are getting your american green card and then applying for US Citizenship, then at that time, would you be surrendering your CAN citizenship or Ind or both?
4c) In case indian citizenship is to be surrendered, how does an Indian maintain his inherited property in India while being a Canadian Citizen? Or say US Citizen?

I am sorry for my naive questions but i really need some info to clear things out

Thanks all

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
1 - Yes
2 - You can certainly get a SIN if you wanted to. Not sure of the benefits to get one if you don't use it though.
3. - Right, no point in applying for healthcare now
4 - Citizenship rules are changing so you will need to spend 4 years physically in Canada (out of any 6 year time) before you can apply for citizenship
a) Canada doesn't care if you have dual, so need to check with other country what they allow
b) again Canada doesn't care, you need to check with other country. But I don't see how you can reach 4 years in Canada and still maintain a green card. Green card requires you to be a resident of the US, so if they see you are in fact living in Canada they can simply revoke your green card at anytime.

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
Thanks for your response but :

1. American GC (unless approved) does not require anyone to live/work in America. Anyone with an approved 140 waiting in line for the date to be current to file 485 (by his employer) is NOT required to live/work in America.

2. It is very unfortunate to see that CAN has added 1 more year to an already long 3 years for granting someone the permission to file for CAN Citizenship and then there's a risk of RQ showing up on candidate leading to further 2 more years of delay

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I'm just going by the general rules after you've received your GC, not during the time you're applying for it: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

If there are different classes of GC though the don't follow these rules, then of course you'd follow those rules instead.

As for citizenship, most people support the new rules. Canada doesn't want people becoming citizens that really have no intention of actually living and contributing here.

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
Well, lucky people managed to get it after 3 years, so don't know who all are these people who are welcoming yet another 1 more year to an already long process....even though CAN is the only country with such relaxed immigration rules but with RQ stories and +1 to Citizenship requirement, i am not sure if its a dream destination for millions.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
The US requires you to have been a PR for 5 years, without having left the US for more than 6 months during any period in that 5 years with 30 months physical presence in the US and at least 3 months in your current state/county ....

I'd say Canada's rules of asking that their potential citizens live in the country for at least 4 years out of 6 is more than fair. The current rules of only 3 years is a joke. Many come to Canada, barely fulfill the requirements, get a passport then move to the US or somewhere else that their newly minted Canadian passport allows them easier entry then say, their Iranian/Iraqi passport might.

*edited to note that if you are naturalized as a US citizen you are generally not allowed to keep your Indian passport and/or citizenship.