+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR - Passport renewal after landing and before PR card is received

Prashanth_12

Nov 5, 2018
Hi All,

Hope the members of the forum can help with suggestions on the following.
I've completed PR anding formalities a week ago (Oct 28) and now need to return back to India for a month to attend and settle on a few important things that I cannot postpone, and then planning to return back to Canada around Feb 2019 (the PR card will be mailed to a friend in Canada and I will pick it up from him later, or with PRTD). Now the situation is that my passport is valid till June 2018 and I have to make a visit to Germany for a work related event (haven't quit the earlier company because of commitments - can quit around Feb) in 1st week Jan 2018. Because of the 6 month passport validity rule, i have to renew my passport.

While I'm waiting for the PR card (which i know will take 2+ months from date of landing - so will not receive till late December) i have to return back to home country and renew my passport while the PR card is not yet prepared and dispatched. Given this can you please help with these questions:

Timeline:
Landing completion with COPR: Oct 28 2018
Temporary return : Nov 10 2018
Passport renewal : ~Nov 30 2018 [PR card not received by then]

1. In the ~2 month duration after landing and PR card is yet to be received by me, if the passport is renewed (and this new passport will have a different number, but it will have an entry of the old passport number and the date and place of it's issue), will this be a problem ? Because COPR has the old passport number mapped to it as i see in that document.

2. My understanding is that you become a PR the day you land in Canada with COPR and passport with Visa, then why does it take 2+ months to just print a PR card and send to the person ? What processing happens in this 2 month period ? If this processing includes passport number verification, then my old passport (which was tied to COPR) would have been renewed/invalidated after getting the new passport (with a different number), won't this be a problem ?

3. Is it a simple process to just update CIC with the new passport scans and would they update their records of the new passport number ? or is it not that straight forward (which i'm worried). Can you please share suggestions on what are the options for this..

Thank you in advance for your kind help..

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi All,

I've completed PR anding formalities a week ago (Oct 28)
I stopped reading here. Nothing that followed can possibly be relevant. You can renew your passport any time, no need to inform IRCC of your new passport at all. You’re a landed PR. Your PR application is a shut case.

(Ok—I scanned a bit. The PR card takes a few months because of the backlog. It used to take just a few days/weeks. The passport number is not tied to the PR card at all.)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi All,

I've completed PR anding formalities a week ago (Oct 28) and now need to return back to India for a month to attend and settle on a few important things that I cannot postpone, and then planning to return back to Canada around Feb 2019 (the PR card will be mailed to a friend in Canada and I will pick it up from him later, or with PRTD). Now the situation is that my passport is valid till June 2018 and I have to make a visit to Germany for a work related event (haven't quit the earlier company because of commitments - can quit around Feb) in 1st week Jan 2018. Because of the 6 month passport validity rule, i have to renew my passport.

While I'm waiting for the PR card (which i know will take 2+ months from date of landing - so will not receive till late December) i have to return back to home country and renew my passport while the PR card is not yet prepared and dispatched. Given this can you please help with these questions:

Timeline:
Landing completion with COPR: Oct 28 2018
Temporary return : Nov 10 2018
Passport renewal : ~Nov 30 2018 [PR card not received by then]

1. In the ~2 month duration after landing and PR card is yet to be received by me, if the passport is renewed (and this new passport will have a different number, but it will have an entry of the old passport number and the date and place of it's issue), will this be a problem ? Because COPR has the old passport number mapped to it as i see in that document.

2. My understanding is that you become a PR the day you land in Canada with COPR and passport with Visa, then why does it take 2+ months to just print a PR card and send to the person ? What processing happens in this 2 month period ? If this processing includes passport number verification, then my old passport (which was tied to COPR) would have been renewed/invalidated after getting the new passport (with a different number), won't this be a problem ?

3. Is it a simple process to just update CIC with the new passport scans and would they update their records of the new passport number ? or is it not that straight forward (which i'm worried). Can you please share suggestions on what are the options for this..

Thank you in advance for your kind help..
In response to the question about PR card processing times.
It's not just a matter of printing the physical card, which is actually done by another company anyway, but all the processing and verification of the photograph and details. Have you any idea of just how many PR cards are produced a year, both new and renewals?
It takes as long as it takes...

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
There is no passport verification or other formality done after you become a landed immigrant. The delay is simply due to the backlog and the internal processing of the IRCC. Timelines are posted publicly. Changing of passport should have zero effect and you do not need to inform the IRCC.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Here's some historical figures for PR card production.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/opendata-donneesouvertes/data/IRCC_overview_0002_E.xls

Over 0.5 million PR cards a year, split approximately evenly between Phase I (new immigrants) and Phase II (renewals). It's actually 3/5 vs 2/5...
And people wonder why it's slow...

Permanent Resident Cards – Quarterly IRCC Updates

The number of applications for Canadian Permanent Resident (PR) Cards received at the Case Processing Region (CPC-PRC), the number of PR Cards issued, and the number of PR Cards outstanding (yet to be processed or issued) at the end of the reporting period, as well as application processing times. Comparisons (percentage change) between totals are also provided.

• Publisher - Current Organization Name: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Publisher - Organization Name at Publication: Citizenship and Immigration Canada
  • Licence: Open Government Licence - Canada
Resources
Resource Name Resource Type Format Language Links
Permanent Resident Card Applications Overview Dataset XLS English Access
Permanent Resident Card Applications Overview Dataset XLS French Access

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In case you don't have a PR card when you return to Canada, you might need a PR travel document.

Prashanth_12

Nov 5, 2018
I stopped reading here. Nothing that followed can possibly be relevant. You can renew your passport any time, no need to inform IRCC of your new passport at all. You’re a landed PR. Your PR application is a shut case.

(Ok—I scanned a bit. The PR card takes a few months because of the backlog. It used to take just a few days/weeks. The passport number is not tied to the PR card at all.)
Thanks for the clarification. I was worried because the COPR document has the old passport number and it's expiry date mentioned.
And also I read on the forum regarding the need to inform IRCC of passport renewal and getting new COPRs from embassy if passport renewal is done before landing. But as you mentioned, after landing - all formalities are done and no passport renewal should not have an issue with the PR card printing.

Thanks again for the help.

Prashanth_12

Nov 5, 2018
In response to the question about PR card processing times.
It's not just a matter of printing the physical card, which is actually done by another company anyway, but all the processing and verification of the photograph and details. Have you any idea of just how many PR cards are produced a year, both new and renewals?
It takes as long as it takes...
Thanks for these details, I understand the amount of work involved given the high number of applications. I was trying to co-relate the ~2 processing delay with re-verifications (including passport verification - because if passport is renewed, the old passport number will not provide any info about the person per my understanding, and hence could be an issue). As mentioned by the other members mentioned in this thread, such verifications are not re-done and so i will go for passport renewal.

One question if you can help, when you mentioned "all the processing and verification of the photograph and details" - can you elaborate what sort of verification will be done ? (i assume and hope this does not include passport number mapping).

Last edited:

Prashanth_12

Nov 5, 2018
There is no passport verification or other formality done after you become a landed immigrant. The delay is simply due to the backlog and the internal processing of the IRCC. Timelines are posted publicly. Changing of passport should have zero effect and you do not need to inform the IRCC.
Thanks for the clarification.
Would you happen to know any other person who happened to have had a similar passport renewal situation post landing like this in the past ? I searched the forum but did not see any such, so was wondering..

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Thanks for the clarification.
Would you happen to know any other person who happened to have had a similar passport renewal situation post landing like this in the past ? I searched the forum but did not see any such, so was wondering..
I had a similar experience myself. When I landed last year in July I went to my embassy in Ottawa to apply for a new one (old one was not expired by did not have any more pages for visas). Once I got the new password I applied for US visa with the new one. I have been out of the country three times at least and never had any issue. When coming back to Canada I think I only had to show my PR card.

Prashanth_12

Nov 5, 2018
I had a similar experience myself. When I landed last year in July I went to my embassy in Ottawa to apply for a new one (old one was not expired by did not have any more pages for visas). Once I got the new password I applied for US visa with the new one. I have been out of the country three times at least and never had any issue. When coming back to Canada I think I only had to show my PR card.
Ah I see, so you renewed your passport almost immediately after first landing and before you had your PR card in hand ? And i assume you did not inform about passport renewal to CIC - is that correct ?
Thanks for the help..

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Ah I see, so you renewed your passport almost immediately after first landing and before you had your PR card in hand ? And i assume you did not inform about passport renewal to CIC - is that correct ?
Thanks for the help..
No I did not inform the CIC. As far as I am concerned the only time I will need to contact the CIC again would be to renew my PR card or apply for citizenship