+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR or Student Visa

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
  • Tuition fees for international students is more as compared to the students who are Canadian citizens/permanent residents (even for PhD, whether or not there is a stipend). Here's the link for University of Ottawa: https://www.uottawa.ca/university-fees/tuition-fees
If OP is considering settling in Canada, and is able to secure an ITA with her existing credentials, PR at this time seems to be the best option to me. But, it's her who has to decide.
Good luck Nadia!
Ok, didn't know that about Ontario.

At U.B.C., there is slightly higher international tuition rate, but every research-based graduate student gets an automatic scholarship that reduces it to the domestic rate.

For the health plan, everyone pays the health insurance premium, whether Canadian or not, although PRs/citizens get access to premium assistance if their income qualifies.

Those fees for child's basic education are insane. I didn't realise this was a practice in Canada. I have never heard of this in the U.S. where local schools are generally funded through property taxes and the child's immigration status is irrelevant.

If it's feasible, OP should definately apply for PR rather than student visa.

Last edited:

Que Em

Apr 14, 2016
LANDED..........
2017-07-17
Sorry, I think, I posted the wrong information (the links for the children fees seem to be not true for all circumstances). Here's the correct information (i.e., children can attend public schools for free):

"... School-Age Children
International students studying full-time with a valid study permit at a publicly assisted Ontario university or college can send their school-age children to Ontario schools for free, according to the Ontario Education Act.

Please note that you will also have to submit a study permit application from your country of permanent residence for your children. Pre-school and kindergarten children do not need a study permit.

You can choose to send your children to private schools. There are also before and after school day cares available to you. The fees for these private institutions vary. Contact the schools directly..."

Anyways, considering OP's situation, I still think PR is definitely the better option.

Que Em

Apr 14, 2016
LANDED..........
2017-07-17
No problem. I would suggest that you complete your Express Entry profile and enter the pool.
Start here: Become a candidate – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Once your EE profile is complete and you're in the pool, you'll find out your exact score and chances to get an ITA. Also, you'll be all set to get picked if your score is good enough for the next round.

Concerning your spouse's IELTS (and/or ECAs), you can add the details as and when available to get additional points, if necessary.

Also, after completing these steps, you'll be in a much better position to make the deferral decision.

Good luck!

imranaly

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Actually I have visited many consultants just to have a general idea about both scenarios. My conclusion is that, atleast in Pakistan, Consultant are not very familiar with the PhD study permit process. Infact they are mostly dealing under graduate admissions so they dont have any idea about the issues a PhD candidate can face. So i think they gave me wrong information regarding international students paying more for their kids education than PR.
Thanks all of you for your valuable suggestions. Really appreciate it.
Hi Nadia, hope you are doing well. I am also planning to do Masters from Canada ( currently masters in public administration) with 5 years work experience. My question is that I have done IELTS in general module. now I am searching any reputable university or college , accepting general IELTS but could not find any. any info regarding this would be appreciated.TIA

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Nadia, hope you are doing well. I am also planning to do Masters from Canada ( currently masters in public administration) with 5 years work experience. My question is that I have done IELTS in general module. now I am searching any reputable university or college , accepting general IELTS but could not find any. any info regarding this would be appreciated.TIA
Unfortunately, You'll need IELTS Academic for study and IELTS General for immigration. That's how it works. That's how their business model work. That's how they make money from you.

I know it sucks. I used to sit for IELTS every 3 months just to improve scores (both Academic and General).

imranaly

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Unfortunately, You'll need IELTS Academic for study and IELTS General for immigration. That's how it works. That's how their business model work. That's how they make money from you.

I know it sucks. I used to sit for IELTS every 3 months just to improve scores (both Academic and General).
Thanks for your response. Actually the lady (above mentioned) got admission in PHD with general IELTS (watch thread from start) that's why I asked if there is any university accepting General IELTS.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your response. Actually the lady (above mentioned) got admission in PHD with general IELTS (watch thread from start) that's why I asked if there is any university accepting General IELTS.
PhD is mostly depend on the Prof. If she is really good and the prof really want her in his/her team, school might accept it (but I doubt that)
But your case is master study, which is a different story.

There is exception, if your Bachelor degree is in English and within recent 3 years. Some school might exempt you from IELTS.

P/S: she never said she didn't take IELTS academic.