19-10-2014 AINP
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 cic
IELTS Request
added to application
Med's Request
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
29-04-2015, ecas upadated rcvd 2nd week of may, ecas upadted july 24: in process july 22
LANDED..........
already in canada
hi everyone,

Please i need your help and advise about this.

Im Inland applicant and I am going to be a PR soon, hopefully this year or earlier next year. My fiance and I are planning to get married during my PR process or after I get my Pr. and most important thing is to live together outside canada for good and im just going back and forth in canada for Pr obligations.

my questions about taxes are:
1. He is working in a tax free country ( saudi arabia)- is he still going to file tax in canada even though we live together in saudi arabia for good?
2. I wont be working in saudi arabia- do i still need to file tax too in canada?
3. i have bank accounts, driver license, rrsp, tfsa, etc ( secondary ties) in canada, no i need to close/ cancel them all?

Basically, We want to stay in saudi arabia cause no taxes and can save more.

thank you in advance..

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will either not be able to complete PR obligations, which are to be in Canada for 2 years out of every 5. and probably this way never be able to get Canadian citizeship. The new rule says to be in Canada for 4 years out of 6 and be physically present in Canada for 183 days at least in all those 4 years and file taxes on world income.

Remember the 2 years out of 5 for PR are calculated daily, or I would say whenever u enter Canadan, the officer calculates that

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
singh84a said:
You will either not be able to complete PR obligations, which are to be in Canada for 2 years out of every 5. and probably this way never be able to get Canadian citizeship. The new rule says to be in Canada for 4 years out of 6 and be physically present in Canada for 183 days at least in all those 4 years and file taxes on world income.

Remember the 2 years out of 5 for PR are calculated daily, or I would say whenever u enter Canadan, the officer calculates that
She would be able to meet the PR obligations if the fiancé she is accompanying is a Canadian citizen.

jhyngx

Star Member
May 18, 2012
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014 AINP ; 07-11-2014 PR application submitted to CIO,sydney
Doc's Request.
19-10-2014 AINP
Nomination.....
19-10-2014 AINP
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 cic
IELTS Request
added to application
Med's Request
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
29-04-2015, ecas upadated rcvd 2nd week of may, ecas upadted july 24: in process july 22
LANDED..........
already in canada
thank you guys.my fiance is not a canadian citizen.

How about this, if i will stay every 183 days atleast or 6 mos in Canada and just take a vacation to Saudi Arabia every 6 mos. I will still meet the PR obligations?

How about my future husband, does he need to file tax every year too?

rks0101

Oct 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jhyngx said:

How about this, if i will stay every 183 days atleast or 6 mos in Canada and just take a vacation to Saudi Arabia every 6 mos. I will still meet the PR obligations?

Yes you would.

Not sure about filing taxes for maintaining PR..

thx.

wayneli

Feb 27, 2015
Your situation is very complicated indeed with PR status, staying in a country with no tax treaties with Canada (Saudi has not tax at all). I would recommend you talk to an immigration lawyer for how to keep your PR and an accountant for tax planning.

As far as I know if you and your future husband are considered a family, if you file taxes in Canada to maintain your PR you are considered a tax resident, then your husband will be considered as tax residence as well. Then the money he makes in Saudi will be subject to Canadian tax (it also depends on your husband's status in Canada). The only way to get away from it is you take on non-tax resident status then you would lose your PR. The point is one family member file tax then your spouse is considered same status.

Again it's really complicated for your situation and you better talk to a tax expert and immigration lawyer.

jhyngx said:

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just my 2 cents,

All PRs are supposed to file taxes, Its not going to matter until u renew your PR card or apply for Citizenship.

I don't think there is hard requirement to show that you are filing taxes for ur PR card renewal/replacement,

but for Citizenship I thought they were adding that requirement. As the immigration would like to see that you filed taxes as a PR before to be granted citizenship

wayneli

Feb 27, 2015
To make one correction on what you state below indeed CIC is putting tax filing requirement on PR renewal as well. you can check on CIC website about it. There are exceptions of course.

singh84a said:
Just my 2 cents,

All PRs are supposed to file taxes, Its not going to matter until u renew your PR card or apply for Citizenship.

I don't think there is hard requirement to show that you are filing taxes for ur PR card renewal/replacement,

but for Citizenship I thought they were adding that requirement. As the immigration would like to see that you filed taxes as a PR before to be granted citizenship

rks0101

Oct 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wayneli said:
To make one correction on what you state below indeed CIC is putting tax filing requirement on PR renewal as well. you can check on CIC website about it. There are exceptions of course.
Hi Wayneli,

Could you share a link for all?

Thanks

pithuda

Star Member
Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2009
Doc's Request.
05-02-2010
File Transfer...
10-02-2010
Med's Request
10-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012 & 10-06-2014 (Remedical)
Interview........
01-04-2014
Passport Req..
24-06-2014 (PPR1), 27-06-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
26th July 2014
Can someone please advise if there is form for declaring networth (assets liabilities) etc?

Or if there is no form and I print my network on a piece of paper, would canadian immigration/customs sign and stamp it if I request them?

My tax accountant is suggesting that I should get it stamped by them on my next visit. I landed last year and returned after 1 month. I am moving to Canada next month permanently and my tax accountant asked me to get this done, although he is not sure how its done.

Any advice?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pithuda said:
Can someone please advise if there is form for declaring networth (assets liabilities) etc?

Or if there is no form and I print my network on a piece of paper, would canadian immigration/customs sign and stamp it if I request them?

My tax accountant is suggesting that I should get it stamped by them on my next visit. I landed last year and returned after 1 month. I am moving to Canada next month permanently and my tax accountant asked me to get this done, although he is not sure how its done.

Any advice?
I don't think such form exists. I suggest you get a new accountant (preferably knows cross border tax treaties - Canadian and your home country) since the previous one doesn't know how to get this done.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
pithuda said:

Any advice?
you don't have to declare your net worth at landing....only those assets that will be coming to Canada. that said, you must disclose if you hold any property valued at over $100,000 outside of Canada on your tax filings each year.

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
wayneli said:

I lived outside Canada with my wife who is a Canadian Citizen for more than 730 days. As per the CIC rules I deem to have complied with the RO.

I want to renew my PR Card now and one of the additional documents to be provided to prove your residency is the Notice of Tax Assessment (NOA). Since I was a non resident I have not filed the tax returns and I cannot get this document.

The Consultant who is handling my application is insisting that I should provide this. Otherwise I am at a disadvantage.

In the mean time I have obtained CHRP (Certified HR Professional) Certification from CCHRA (Canadian Council of HR Association) by taking 2 very tough exams. This is a post secondary qualification and only Bachelor Degree Holders can earn this certification. My consultant tells me that this document is not good enough as an additonal evidence document as it was obtained through distance learning and not by residing in Canada.

I sought the opinion of another reputed Immigration Lawyer and he tells me that the NOA is definitely required for those applying to renew the PR by showing that they were physically residing in Canada. In the case of persons like me who are accompanying a Canadian Citizen abroad it is upfront understood that they were not physically present in Canada and the NOA is not required, but other documents to prove that the 2 were living together abroad are requried.

Please can you advise if there is anything in the Immigration Rules regarding this subject.

Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jerry1410 said:
I lived outside Canada with my wife who is a Canadian Citizen for more than 730 days. As per the CIC rules I deem to have complied with the RO.

I want to renew my PR Card now and one of the additional documents to be provided to prove your residency is the Notice of Tax Assessment (NOA). Since I was a non resident I have not filed the tax returns and I cannot get this document.

The Consultant who is handling my application is insisting that I should provide this. Otherwise I am at a disadvantage.

In the mean time I have obtained CHRP (Certified HR Professional) Certification from CCHRA (Canadian Council of HR Association) by taking 2 very tough exams. This is a post secondary qualification and only Bachelor Degree Holders can earn this certification. My consultant tells me that this document is not good enough as an additonal evidence document as it was obtained through distance learning and not by residing in Canada.

I sought the opinion of another reputed Immigration Lawyer and he tells me that the NOA is definitely required for those applying to renew the PR by showing that they were physically residing in Canada. In the case of persons like me who are accompanying a Canadian Citizen abroad it is upfront understood that they were not physically present in Canada and the NOA is not required, but other documents to prove that the 2 were living together abroad are requried.

Please can you advise if there is anything in the Immigration Rules regarding this subject.

Thank you
Even you are non resident for tax purposes, you would have to file NR returns in some circumstances, which you can now provide those NR tax notice of assessments to CIC as proofs.

Please refrain to insert your message into other quotes as this is very difficult to see.

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
Thank you. I think in the process of quoting the message from another person I happen to my my message inside that. Sorry.