+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing with two years to go

JDR1984

Sep 15, 2023
Hello everyone - I'm in a bit of a situation and would appreciate some advice.

Background:
I did my landing on 2 Sep 2020 during peak COVID and flew back to my country of residence after three weeks. In the ensuing three years, I fell into credit card debt and developed an MRSA infection that required intensive treatment to eradicate, which delayed my relocation. I decided to give up on my Canadian residency.

However, we recently eliminated the MRSA infection, and I'm close to paying off the credit card debt. To top it off, I received an opportunity for a company transfer to a new role in the Canadian office.

My current RO Stats are as follows:
  • Landed in Canada: 02 September 2020
  • Left Canada: 23 September 2020
  • PR Card Expiry: December 2025
Questions:
  1. Let's say I land in Canada on September 19th to start my new role; is it possible for me to be reported since I'm landing so close to the two-year requirement for RO?
  2. I will have to come back to my current country of residence for two weeks in Dec/Jan to wrap up the paperwork completely. Is there a possibility for me to be refused entry on the trip back to Canada since I will be technically short of meeting my RO by two weeks?
Thank you in advance. Any insight will be helpful.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Questions:
  1. Let's say I land in Canada on September 19th to start my new role; is it possible for me to be reported since I'm landing so close to the two-year requirement for RO?
  2. I will have to come back to my current country of residence for two weeks in Dec/Jan to wrap up the paperwork completely. Is there a possibility for me to be refused entry on the trip back to Canada since I will be technically short of meeting my RO by two weeks?
1. If you are within the RO (your days outside Canada less than 1095 since your date of first landing), no, you cannot be reported.
2. You cannot be refused entry at that point, but you could be reported. Arguably not very likely given small degree of out-of-compliance, and if you are clearly living in Canada, but possible.

Reactions: dpenabill

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello everyone - I'm in a bit of a situation and would appreciate some advice.

Background:
I did my landing on 2 Sep 2020 during peak COVID and flew back to my country of residence after three weeks. In the ensuing three years, I fell into credit card debt and developed an MRSA infection that required intensive treatment to eradicate, which delayed my relocation. I decided to give up on my Canadian residency.

However, we recently eliminated the MRSA infection, and I'm close to paying off the credit card debt. To top it off, I received an opportunity for a company transfer to a new role in the Canadian office.

My current RO Stats are as follows:
  • Landed in Canada: 02 September 2020
  • Left Canada: 23 September 2020
  • PR Card Expiry: December 2025
Questions:
Basically, you should be able to come but will have to suck it up and stay put for the next 2 years. No vacations, no holidays, no trips to visit your sick relatives, etc, etc. Well, depending on when you get here you may be able to leave the country for a handful of days.

However, as long as you get here by the 24th of September, you should face no issues whatsoever (this is because the they on which you left and the day on which you come back both count towards the 2 years to meet your RO).

Reactions: JDR1984

JDR1984

Sep 15, 2023
Basically, you should be able to come but will have to suck it up and stay put for the next 2 years. No vacations, no holidays, no trips to visit your sick relatives, etc, etc. Well, depending on when you get here you may be able to leave the country for a handful of days.

However, as long as you get here by the 24th of September, you should face no issues whatsoever (this is because the they on which you left and the day on which you come back both count towards the 2 years to meet your RO).
Thank you for the insight. It's very much appreciated.

JDR1984

Sep 15, 2023
1. If you are within the RO (your days outside Canada less than 1095 since your date of first landing), no, you cannot be reported.
2. You cannot be refused entry at that point, but you could be reported. Arguably not very likely given small degree of out-of-compliance, and if you are clearly living in Canada, but possible.
Thank you very much!