+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing at Peace Bridge and use AVR for return to USA

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hello All,

I would like to thank @harirajmohan , @lampbreaker, @21Goose and other members who replied my questions patiently and helped me to understand the process.

Sharing my Experience for PR landing at Peace Bridge and returned using AVR. No major difference from earlier experiences shared on this forum but thought to share as it might help someone.

My Situation: H1 + 2 H4 dependents, I was having H1 Visa stamp on Passport but no visa stamps on my dependents passport as they have not traveled after their visa expiry. Petition was approved. I had a RFE for Location Amendment which is in Progress. I submitted DS 160 for dependents H4 stamping in Canada but no Dates available till July hence interview was not scheduled. Hence I thought to use AVR.

Documents for Canada PR landing:
1. Passports
2. COPR
3. 2 Document list for Accompanying and good to follow list on plain paper with Serial numbers for TV/Laptops/Phone/Appliances. Made high level sections for Electronic, Music Instruments, Jewelry, Other items like Clothes, toys etc.( Estimated value for Jewelry on own and took photographs)

Documents for return to USA
1. Passports
2. H1 I797 approval for Myself and my dependents all original copies.

Reached Peace Bridge Canada Entry Checkpoint around 6:15PM on Sunday Evening by Rental Car.

Me: All passport shared and mentioned to check post officer that we are here for PR landing process
Officer: Asked basic questions of goods with you and gave a yellow slip, asked to park the car and go in the building behind his check post

Inside office I met two sections – Immigration and Customs

Immigration officer took yellow slip, COPR and Passports, asked us to sign COPR, asked me for Canada address.
After 15 minutes, He called us back, canceled the Visa on passport, kept the first copy of COPR with photograph and stapled the second copy on our passport. Provided information about PR requirement etc., said will get the PR card by 6-8 weeks. Also mentioned I can travel only by road using COPR, for Airline I need to have a travel document.

Custom officer: Gave him my Canada address and both Good list. He asked if I will be importing my vehicle (My answer “NO”). He asked if all this good are bought in USA, I said yes all good bought in USA, only Gold jewelry we are wearing last 10-11 years which I got in India. He saw the complete list and asked if any of this are Commercial good.(My answer “NO”). he asked if this good will be shipped or I will bring this (My answer “ I will bring on my own”). ( Note: Very few Jewelry Items, photo graphs where not seen)
He stamped my list also filled the form. I think he took a copy for him and gave stamped papers back. Asked to take a receipt from Cashier.

Both Officers were good and showed a happy gesture. Complete process was around 45 minutes.

Returning back to USA from Peace bridge (Tuesday afternoon around 2:00PM)

Me: Gave our Passports and I797 original copies.
Officer : Where are you coming from
Me: Niagara, Canada
Officer: What is your status
Me: H1 for me and H4 for dependents
Officer: Do you work in USA
Me : Yes
Officer: How long you are staying in USA
Me: Year XXXX
Officer: When you went to Canada
Me: On Sunday for my PR landing process
Officer: You have visa stamp but your Dependent don’t have a stamp
Me: Yes, I have a stamp in my passport, for dependents I have the approved I797 till Feb 2020. He checked I797 documents
Officer: You need to get this stamp from office I cannot see the status, Kept the passports with him, gave a white label with parking slot number and asked to go in office
Me: Parked and we went inside office

After 10 minutes officer called us on the counter
Officer: When you traveled to Canada
Me: Sunday evening
Officer: Have you traveled to any other country other than Canada
Me: No, we only visited for our PR landing process

I think he validated the status etc. in his system, He removed I 94 from I797 and stapled it in our passport. He mentioned you need to have this I 94 in your passport if you travel to Canada and come back within 30 days. But if your dependents travel to India you need to get there visa stamped. He suggested to have Principal applicant I797 approval to be carried along with Dependents document during their travel. ( Note: Officer mentioned that when you visit Canada next time, they may remove the stapled I94 from your passport hence you need to carry all your I797 approval so that the status can be validated. Not sure if Canada immigration can remove I94 but have not re-questioned to the officer)

Both officers were good, they asked questions point to point. Complete process took around 1 hour.

Drive back home. Thanks to all members who shared there experiences and answered queries.

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hi ,

I don’t see anything about proof of funds. What proof did you take for the funds?
Thanks for noting this, i had the one page letter from bank that i submitted earlier. But you can take fresh copy. no question related to funds were asked by the officer. Thanks