+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR in Canada, denied entry to USA, wanting to apply for Citizenship

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
I do not see anything specific on the forms regarding being denied entry to another Country (they specifically mention Canada).

In this case, I would call IRCC (early in the morning as soon as they open is the best time to reach them, but still prepare for a long hold) and ASK specifically if there is anywhere in which to disclose this. I would even ask if it would be appropriate to write a letter disclosing this upfront so as to show good faith.

As others said above, it does not interfere with ELIGIBILITY to apply for citizenship, but it could trigger more scrutiny (and such is the way of life, not much to do about that!)

Cheers,
Calling wont guarantee authentic reply. It has been known in this forum that IRCC call center replies have varied and (sometimes) not correct response. Especially, if the query is not normal.

I believe a better approach would be to apply and let IRCC decide on the application. Writing a letter is not needed and nowhere in the form or related instructions, it calls for disclosing the information. So OP is not doing anything wrong in any way, shape or form by not disclosing. In fact, the extra information may trigger unnecessary confusion/scrutiny.

Thats my opinion.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Calling wont guarantee authentic reply. It has been known in this forum that IRCC call center replies have varied and (sometimes) not correct response. Especially, if the query is not normal.

I believe a better approach would be to apply and let IRCC decide on the application. Writing a letter is not needed and nowhere in the form or related instructions, it calls for disclosing the information. So OP is not doing anything wrong in any way, shape or form by not disclosing. In fact, the extra information may trigger unnecessary confusion/scrutiny.

Thats my opinion.
I would tend to agree with this opinion, as I've long been a proponent of providing information asked for and nothing else. Let IRCC decide for themselves if it's relevant. It's not any sort of a criminal charge that would need to be disclosed, IMO. Unless the ban is some summary judgement of a criminal charge of illegally working in the US.

Reactions: amitdi

ayindeoa

Nov 9, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have been granted PR in Canada in the beginning of 2016, and was denied entry to the US in December of the same year. In addition, the US border officers issued a five year travel ban since I worked without a work visa before I even came to Canada. To clarify the timeline, I spent several months in the US in 2011, before coming to Canada to my masters studies in 2012. My study permit evolved into a PGWP, and PR later on.

No one seemed to care about this back on the Canadian border. My life continued as per usual. In the meantime I opened up my private company, and bought an apartment. I traveled from Canada to other countries back and fort seamlessly. Kept filing my taxes, sending invitation letters to friends etc.

Several months ago I fulfilled residential requirements to apply for citizenship. Naturally, the five year ban is of concern to me, and not sure how will it affect my potential application. I tried to find a similar example on the forum, without luck.

Also, I could not really identify would this fall under any of the questions within Section 16 of the citizenship application (Prohibitions).

Can anyone please help with this issue?

Would love to know if I can hope to become a citizen, or if I am already a write off (just no one told me yet).

Thank you very much.
Do you mind sharing what your status in U.S was when you worked there, am curious to know how they found out you worked in the U.S if you didnt provide SSN

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
There is a tv program called “boarder security “ that’s on globaltv every weekend around 7 or 8 pm, which basically shows how CBSA determines whether or not let anybody in at various airports and land entries, and they have access to all the history regardless one's passport history- so if someone was denied in the past, there is a good chance they would know

zarkol

Jul 19, 2015
Hi folks,

Quick update: As some you have suggested, I have sent my application only with details that were requested (there was no actual place to indicate my ban).

Today I wrote my citizenship test, I passed, and the interview with the officer went well. There was no mention of the issue with the US travel ban.

Thank you all for your help. If there wasn't for the positive push from you guys, I would be hesitant to send my application.

Many, many thanks.

Reactions: JPBless and dzei