+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR holder but Travel residency mistakes

rajspeeder

Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

I am Canadian PR Holder working in USA and will be moving to Canada anytime. I realized after getting PR, I have mistakenly missed some cities in the travel history form while applying Canada PR. I applied Canadian PR from USA, at that time, i was moving jobs every 3 to 6 months. I guess, I forgot mentioning all the cities that i lived or worked or did not remember the address in different cities in USA. Now i have the Canada PR card.

- I will be moving to Canada shortly. Do you think, i will get any problem after staying in Canada or while applying Canadian citizenship.
- Is it required to inform the CIC about the same

Any suggestions will be helpful

Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
rajspeeder said:
Hi,

I am Canadian PR Holder working in USA and will be moving to Canada anytime. I realized after getting PR, I have mistakenly missed some cities in the travel history form while applying Canada PR. I applied Canadian PR from USA, at that time, i was moving jobs every 3 to 6 months. I guess, I forgot mentioning all the cities that i lived or worked or did not remember the address in different cities in USA. Now i have the Canada PR card.

- I will be moving to Canada shortly. Do you think, i will get any problem after staying in Canada or while applying Canadian citizenship.

Thanks
If I understand your query correctly, you omitted information in your original application for PR, and this was due to an oversight.

The significance of something like this cannot be assessed in the abstract. Obviously, the nature and extent to which the facts differ from what you reported matters. The more extensive the discrepancy, the more significant or perhaps serious it is.

Minor errors, or minimal discrepancies, should not be a problem. If, for example, you declared your address and employment to have been in Scranton, Pennsylvania for most of a particular year, but you actually spent three months in Wilkes-Barre, that was not good to do but in the long run is probably insignificant. On the other hand, if you declared you were in Scranton, Pennsylvania for most of the year, then next in Houston, Texas, but in-between you were in Atlanta, Georgia for three months, and Memphis, Tennessee for three months, I don't know, that's a pretty big discrepancy to have made by mistake.

Discrepancies in employment related to qualifying for a FSW class PR loom as more significant. But again, now that you have PR status the question is how much of a difference there is between what was reported and what was the truth. But even leaving out a part-time employer has recently been ruled to be a material misrepresentation, even though the individual who did this asserted he/she (do not recall the individual's gender) thought that extra employment was insignificant, that what mattered was his/her main job. The fact that the individual's employment was relevant to qualifications for the PR visa itself (not just background and security, such as for a person applying for a sponsored partner PR visa) was a big factor.

Depending on the extent of the discrepancies from the facts, you may want to seriously consider talking to a Canadian immigration lawyer.

But yes, of course, if the discrepancies are such as they might be deemed to have been material misrepresentations, your PR status is forever at risk, and even if you obtained citizenship that might be at risk. I have no idea what the practical risks are, but here too the nature and extent of the discrepancies is probably a big factor . . . the bigger the discrepancy, the greater the risk.

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
If you have your PR already the case is closed now. I think you shouldn't have any problems with extending your PR card but I'm not quite sure about citizenship just because I don't really want to have one so I never went through the process.

You could inform CIC but u never know how they will react. They can reopen your case and cancel your PR status because:

I understand that any false statements or concealment of a material fact may result in my exclusion from Canada and may be grounds for my prosecution or removal.
I might be mistaken.

rajspeeder

Dec 13, 2011
Many thanks Dpenabill and TeddyXYZ.

Its nothing to do with employment. I mistakenly missed 1 address that i stayed for few months in one state. I don't have any criminal history. I know, It's foolish and careless mistake for such an important milestone of life

I am confused whether to correct my mistake and taking the risk of getting the PR card canceled.

If my PR card expires, can i continue living in canada without renewing the PR card and apply Citizenship directly. Kindly advise

What are the chances during citizenship, the PR application information will be validated again?.

Thanks

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajspeeder said:
Hi,

Thanks
Immaterial omission.