+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Help please!

James John

Jul 18, 2014
Hello,
I had a PR that expired in June 2013. We landed in June 2008 and we got the PR which is valid for 5 years, but for my dads job we had to leave. So now I'm applying for a university and I'm under 18, so should I apply as an international or national student. If I applied as an international student and stayed in Canada for 1 year, can I renew my PR while I'm studying as an international student and then convert to a national student when I get the PR. I left Canada when I was a minor I was compelled by my parents to leave.
Thanks a lot

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
James John said:
Hello,
I had a PR that expired in June 2013. We landed in June 2008 and we got the PR which is valid for 5 years, but for my dads job we had to leave. So now I'm applying for a university and I'm under 18, so should I apply as an international or national student. If I applied as an international student and stayed in Canada for 1 year, can I renew my PR while I'm studying as an international student and then convert to a national student when I get the PR. I left Canada when I was a minor I was compelled by my parents to leave.
Thanks a lot
You can not get a study permit because you are still a PR. Apply for a PR travel document stating that you do not meet the residency requirements but were removed from Canada as a minor by your parents and now wish to return, study and settle in Canada. Here is the application form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Getting the travel document will allow you to return to Canada and to apply to renew your PR card.

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
James John said:
Should I go to Canada with a travel document or students visa??
Read Leon's response - you are not eligible for a student visa because you are still a PR. If you apply for a travel document and it is denied (unlikely in your case), then you cease to be a PR. In that case, you can apply for a student visa.