+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expiring in next 8 months- Need to travel outside Canada

iverma

Apr 10, 2017
Hi All,
My PR is expiring early next year. I am planning to travel to india for a month in the month of Sept this year. My citizenship is already in progress but due to delay I have not received any update after my citizenship test. I wanted to know that will it be fine to travel to India and I can re-enter Canada even though my PR expires early next year. I am hoping I might not even need PR renewal. Anyone faced similar situation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,
My PR is expiring early next year. I am planning to travel to india for a month in the month of Sept this year. My citizenship is already in progress but due to delay I have not received any update after my citizenship test. I wanted to know that will it be fine to travel to India and I can re-enter Canada even though my PR expires early next year. I am hoping I might not even need PR renewal. Anyone faced similar situation?
You can board a plane back to Canada using your PR card up to the day of expiry (I wouldn't test it on the day of expiry, because if the airline disagrees, you won't have time to dispute it).

Warning, I would still suggest applying for PR card renewal, now - citizenship apps are slow, unpredictable, and if something comes up that requires travel, you could be seriously inconvenienced. At least - reportedly - routine PR card renewals for those in Canada and in compliance are reasonably predictable.

Reactions: iverma

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi All,
1. You can use your PR card to enter Canada up to the date it expires.

Reactions: iverma