+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In case the Immigration office at Port of Entry in Canada does not allow us to apply for PR card right-away (because we will be staying permanently only after 6 months or so), is it possible to apply for PR and SIN from a Service Canada location in Canada the next day and provide a friends address or mail-forwarding address

I understand that this may not happen in normal circumstances when coming in through an airport. In some cases, when driving through in a rental-car, officer may ask us to apply for PR card when moving in permanently.

Experts, please provide your input.

Best Regards
OrangeCounty

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

OrangeCounty said:
In case the Immigration office at Port of Entry in Canada does not allow us to apply for PR card right-away (because we will be staying permanently only after 6 months or so), is it possible to apply for PR and SIN from a Service Canada location in Canada the next day and provide a friends address or mail-forwarding address

I understand that this may not happen in normal circumstances when coming in through an airport. In some cases, when driving through in a rental-car, officer may ask us to apply for PR card when moving in permanently.

Experts, please provide your input.

Best Regards
OrangeCounty

1. You can only apply for a SIN at service Canada office not a PR Card.
2. Once you have an address in Canada you fax it to CIC, if POE doesn't accept your address, you will be a paper with the fax no. and information that you are required to submit.

PMM

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay. Thanks PMM.

I assumed Service Canada does PR card too, from this link http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/pr_card.shtml, until I read "Delivered By:CIC"

Now, will it be a problem if I fax the next day providing my friends address?

The PR card provides a fail-safe option of re-entry into Canada. I understand that one can enter Canada by road using stamped COPR and Passport too.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure about the fax, but you are correct that you can enter with a COPR and passport. If you make it to the border they will always let you in, PR card or not, as you are a PR and have right of entry.

If you try to board a plane to Canada without a PR card the carrier may refuse to board you, though.

OrangeCounty said:
Okay. Thanks PMM.

I assumed Service Canada does PR card too, from this link http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/pr_card.shtml, until I read "Delivered By:CIC"

Now, will it be a problem if I fax the next day providing my friends address?

The PR card provides a fail-safe option of re-entry into Canada. I understand that one can enter Canada by road using stamped COPR and Passport too.

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank You !

How does the PR card look like? Does it have our address? Are we obligated to inform CIC of any changes in address? (Like we do for US driver's license etc.)

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No problem!

It does not have an address, and you don't need to report address changes to the CIC, like you have to do to the USCIS if you are a PR in the U.S.A. The driver's licence is the standard way of proving your address here in Canada.

The new PR card is very bare-bones: name, client ID, sex, nationality, date of birth and expiration date (along with your picture and signature). That's all that's on the front.

(Yes, no issue date. I found that weird.)

The back has your height, eye color, country of birth, original PR date, landing POE and category.

The rest of the card is just security features. I could not find any pictures of the new PR card online, but I think it looks great, and better than the old one.

OrangeCounty said:
Thank You !

How does the PR card look like? Does it have our address? Are we obligated to inform CIC of any changes in address? (Like we do for US driver's license etc.)

mistzone

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Karlshammar ,

In my opinion you can apply for PR card with friends address after reaching canada and leave canada, I dont think you require PR card to fly from Canada as long you hold indian passport..

Zagalo

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing , China
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
3-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2012
LANDED..........
13-04-2012
Karlshammar said:
No problem!

It does not have an address, and you don't need to report address changes to the CIC, like you have to do to the USCIS if you are a PR in the U.S.A. The driver's licence is the standard way of proving your address here in Canada.

The new PR card is very bare-bones: name, client ID, *censored word*, nationality, date of birth and expiration date (along with your picture and signature). That's all that's on the front.

(Yes, no issue date. I found that weird.)

The back has your height, eye color, country of birth, original PR date, landing POE and category.

The rest of the card is just security features. I could not find any pictures of the new PR card online, but I think it looks great, and better than the old one.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, the PR card is not required to leave, only to go back to Canada.

mistzone said:
Karlshammar ,

In my opinion you can apply for PR card with friends address after reaching canada and leave canada, I dont think you require PR card to fly from Canada as long you hold indian passport..