+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card

Lynn67

Aug 18, 2011
Hi Leon,
I am confused, I have paid £1800 for a company to do my visa. They informed me that I would have a PR between 6-12 months. I meet the PR requirement under the fsw. I am unsure of the processing times as they are vastly different. I dont know if they are applying for a fsw visa or a PR, they said i would have my PR in 6-12 months. Is it is even possible or are they misleading me
Thank you
Lynn

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a registered nurse, you do qualify to apply under FSW as long as you got in before the cap filled. The cap is currently 500 applications for each profession per year. Once the cap for a certain profession is filled, people in that profession can not apply until July 1st when the caps are reset again. If your consultant got your application in before the cap for nurses got filled up, then your application will be processed. I think they were promising a bit much saying you would have your PR visa in 6 to 12 months. More likely you will have it in 12+ months but you will have to wait and see like everybody else.

Do you know when they applied for you? Looking at this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/i-want-to-go-on-skilled-visa-nurse-t86656.0.html it seems that the cap for nurses was filled in October of last year. If your husband was the primary applicant, this would not be an issue as the cap for chefs is not filled yet, however, he may not have had enough points to qualify.

Lynn67

Aug 18, 2011
Because of the cap being filled they have held my application until July this year, but I still dont understand as the fsw takes 27 month and the PR visa states 35 days. How can they process mine in approx 12 months. Sorry if I sound thick but the 27 month sounds really long in comparison. Please explain as I have lost complete confidence in my consultant.
Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lynn67 said:
Because of the cap being filled they have held my application until July this year, but I still dont understand as the fsw takes 27 month and the PR visa states 35 days. How can they process mine in approx 12 months. Sorry if I sound thick but the 27 month sounds really long in comparison. Please explain as I have lost complete confidence in my consultant.
Thank you
So they have not even applied for you yet but they are going to when the cap is reset? The timelines on the CIC website do not show the timeline for the newest rules for FSW after 2010. Some believe that it has been promised that they will take less than 12 months but who knows. In any case, it should not be longer than the time given for the 2008 to 2010 cases and the time given for that is the time it takes to process 80% of cases so yours could be faster than that.

You can also look at trackitt.com to look at time lines of people who applied through your visa office and get an idea how long theirs took. However, the applications that are getting approved now also might not give a realistic idea how long yours will take that you haven't even started. Your consultant might be fine except for the processing time they are predicting. You might want to ask them where they got that.

You don't have to worry about the 35 days (35 business days, 7 weeks btw). That is just the time it takes to get the PR card itself after you have landed as a PR.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
godsperfectsmile said:
hello leon..

sorry..just wanna ask again.. is it possible to travel outside the country while waiting for my pr card?
I already answered you at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-card-t101186.0.html;msg1390382#msg1390382

You can leave but if you don't have a PR card, you will have to apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy in order to be able to return. The airline will not let you board the plane back to Canada unless you have a PR card or a travel document.

edujrn

Apr 9, 2012
i have a question to you, I crossed the border last sunday (april 22).. the paper that was handed out to me by immigration officer says that PR cards will be released within 90 days. my immigrant visa atcahed in my passport was crossed out too since it is only a single entry.. this coming may 15, i will be flying back to manila for a vacation and will be back on june 20.. is there a chance that the embassy/ies denies an applicant who applied for a travel document eventhough he/ she is just waiting for his/her PR card? im kind of confused on what to do wether to apply for travel documents or apply to "urgent processing of PR cards"? the forms seems so confusing.. given the timeline, what would be your best advice? thanks for your insights.. ;-)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The embassy can not deny you a travel document because you still meet the residency requirements. Because you are allowed to be outside Canada for up to 3 years, it is not even possible to default on the requirements until you have been a PR for at least 3 years.

You can not apply for urgent processing for your first PR card.

Lynn67

Aug 18, 2011
Hi Leon,
I am applying for a fsw visa as you know, is it right that I only have to include my dependants on the main form or does my eldest son who is over 18 need a separate Background check form?
Thanks in advance
Lynn

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lynn67 said:
I am applying for a fsw visa as you know, is it right that I only have to include my dependants on the main form or does my eldest son who is over 18 need a separate Background check form?
Your application package is at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp At the top of the list is your checklist. It tells you exactly who has to fill out which forms.

Lynn67

Aug 18, 2011
When I read the checklist it sounds like I need to fill one in but the visa consultant says no I am so confused

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fire your "consultant". It is clear as day that your child over 18 should fill out a background declaration.

From the checklist:

Schedule A: Background Declaration (IMM 5669)
Completed, dated and signed by:

the principal applicant

spouse or common-law partner (whether they are accompanying or not)

each dependent child over the age of 18 years (whether they are accompanying or not)

Lynn67

Aug 18, 2011
Hi Leon
Would you be able to tell me how I find out when the new cap opens for nurses?
Thanks
Lynn