+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right now, 35 business days (7 weeks) for a new one and 74 calendar days (10.5 weeks) for a renewal. You can see the up to date processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Lynn67 said:
I am applying as a fsw and have heard it can take 4 yrs, is this right
Like Leon mentioned it currently takes about 7 weeks. The link he has provided gives the current times (it is from the CIC - the right source).

Never heard of 4 years for anyone. Took us roughly 8 weeks last year.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lynn67 said:
I am applying as a fsw and have heard it can take 4 yrs, is this right
Then you are not talking about the application for the PR card itself, you are talking about the PR application like FSW from start and until you get your PR visa.

The processing time for that depends on your country. You can see some timelines here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp

Lynn67

Aug 18, 2011
I am 44 yrs old, I am a registered nurse since 2003, can I apply for work visa. My husband is a chef and has been for 28 yrs, he is also 44 yrs old, can he apply for a work visa?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lynn67 said:
I am 44 yrs old, I am a registered nurse since 2003, can I apply for work visa. My husband is a chef and has been for 28 yrs, he is also 44 yrs old, can he apply for a work visa?
In order to apply for a work permit, you or your husband must have a job offer in Canada. In order to work as a nurse, you would have to pass an exam. If one of you gets a job offer in Canada, the employer will apply for a labour market opinion which is proof that he has advertised the job and found no Canadians or PR's who wanted the job or were qualified for the job although he is offering at least the market rates. The person who gets the LMO can apply for a work permit which will be tied to that employer and that job only. As you are both in skilled professions, the one who is the spouse would be able to apply for an open work permit based on the spouses work permit and could take any job.

Nurses and chefs are both supposed to be needed in Canada although I think the job opportunities for nurses are better. I know who women who are chefs and they said they both have struggled to find jobs or decent paying jobs in Canada but if he has a specialty that is more sought after, maybe he will have more luck.

Lynn67

Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for that it is very informative. We really want to immigrate it Canada with our children, is there any other way this is possible. Or, how long does a work visa last for?

Lynn67

Aug 18, 2011
Can we apply for a PR while on a work permit? If so, how long would we need to be in the country in order to apply for this?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To apply for your PR, either you qualify under an immigration program shown here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp or you get a job offer and use that to qualify or use it to get a work permit.

In order to apply for your immigration from within Canada, you still have to qualify under one of the immigration classes mentioned above. You do not automatically gain that right after a certain amount of time on a work permit.

Work permits are often granted for 2 years at a time but you can apply to extend once that time is up. It is not guaranteed that you will be allowed to extend though.

Aug 23, 2010
hi..
its urgent.. i need to leave canada and return after three weeks but i don't have my PR card..been here in canada for a year and half..what should i do?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
godsperfectsmile said:
hi..
its urgent.. i need to leave canada and return after three weeks but i don't have my PR card..been here in canada for a year and half..what should i do?
Please explain: Do you meet the residency requirements? When did you land as a PR? Why don't you have a PR card? When do you have to leave?

If you meet the requirements and are not leaving until maybe say a month from now, you could put in for expedited processing and hope you get your PR card in time. If you need to leave earlier, you can leave and once you are where you are going, apply for a travel document to get back. Depending on where you are, getting a travel document could take more than 3 weeks though.

If you do not meet the requirements yet, you should not apply to renew your PR card now and if you leave, you risk not being let back in. If you do not meet the requirements they will not give you a travel document in which case your only chance to get back if if you get a visit visa to the US and enter Canada on the land border, taking your chance that the immigration officers will let you in.

Aug 23, 2010
hi..i landed here last october 2010, as Permanent Resident..planning to leave second week of may to visit my family in philippines..stay there for 3 weeks..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
godsperfectsmile said:
hi..i landed here last october 2010, as Permanent Resident..planning to leave second week of may to visit my family in philippines..stay there for 3 weeks..
So if you landed in October 2010, why did you not get a PR card? If something went wrong with the delivery of your first PR card or you have lost it, you must apply for one.

You are leaving it very late not applying for your PR card until less than a month before you go. If you ask for expedited processing showing proof of travel, it is possible that you get it in time but you must apply now, ask for expedited processing and send a copy of your flight tickets to prove that you are traveling. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp#urgent for the instructions on how to do this. Send your application with a courier or express mail to make sure it gets there as fast as possible.

If you do not have your PR card before you go and leave without it, then you will have to apply for a travel document at the Canadian embassy in Manila in order to be able to return. You should apply for it as soon as you get there because it may take some time. I do not know how long the embassy in Manila normally takes to process them but some embassies can do it in a day, some take a few weeks so if you leave without your PR card, it is possible that you will be stuck in the Philippines longer than the 3 weeks you planned.